LegacyGT.com

1998 Legacy GT front bumper cover

Sorry if I offend by not looking thru lots of your site's specifics but my son has just bought a 1998 Legacy GT. It needs a new front bumper cover.

1) Are 1998 Legacy and Legacy GT front bumpers the same?

2) What other years of Legacy's have the same bumper as a 1998 Legacy GT?

I would appreciate your help as I seem to get conflicting information from the internet otherwise.

Thanks

1)Yes the 98-99 legacy bumpers are the same gt or not with the exception of the outbacks

2)The 97 GT have the same bumper

Any second gen Legacy GT bumper will fit over your bumper cover. So will an outback, you just wont have mounting points for the fogs on the bumper beam.

If you get a Legacy L or Ts bumper, it will fit no problem, but the grille is shorter and will need the accommodating grille, as the outback/gt grille height wont allow it.

But you can put an L grille on a GT.

If you can find a Legacy Brighton, it will have the same bumper.

Like I said, all look similar and fit just need to switch some simple stuff around to fit.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

all lego, GT, LSi, outback, bumpers 95 - 99 will swap. with limitations.

the outback and the GT grilles are taller, they hang down lower, so the bumpers are shaped different to accommodate. but the bumper / grille combination will swap onto any of the cars listed above.

fyi: rumor has it that the outback grille and the GT grille will swap with no other changes.

I found that with my 1995 L I had to also change the metal and plastic core of the bumper to change to the GT bumper skin. As has been said, the grille is taller and requires the cut out that the inner bumper has in order to work. The inner bumper was easy to remove, just 4 big bolts on the frame rail once the skin is removed. Or just undo the skin from the fenders and unbolt the bumper and it all comes out as a unit. Didn't find that out until I already removed the skin.

Okay....

ONLY 97 to 99 GT bumper covers are the same as the one on the car now.

You can replace it with any 96 to 99 Outback bumper cover as they use the same support bar and grille type.

If you're looking for the same one as on the car, your best bet is to just buy a brand new one from the dealer. Finding one used and paying for the shipping isn't worth the cost.

Archived