LegacyGT.com

squeel in rear end = disaster

So my gf and i purchased a 2006 subaru legacy spec.b and the rear end sounded like a wheel bearing out which is a recall. I took it into the subaru dearship. They drove it and wanted to check the rear diff. plug which i was hesitant because it only has 46k miles but i said fine what we found was a large amount of metal shavings and CHUNKS!! yes i cant believe it myself. I have no idea what would cause such damage i mean im also confused because it only squeeled when turning and bumps sometimes just moving before its warmed up. Luckily its covered under the powertrain warranty and they better replace the entire rear trans axle so it doesnt happen again. I guess I am pissed that this would happen when i checked my 05 legacy with 75k miles there wasnt a hint of metal on the bolt. So what would cause this ???

Did someone launch it really hard (more than once)?

No nobody launched it unless it was the prior owner which we bought the car from him at 28k miles. this car has tien lowering springs god knows why lol i want pinks, and cobb front and rear under the car sways, not to mention the wonderful added aluminum control arms the gods sent down. I wish they would throw down on this thing the 07 spec.b tranny and adjustable drivetrain oh how i wish lol. but 5 speed is better than 6 if you want to play and not row your boat everywhere. Anyway She drives the car like its her baby she forgets to drive it past 65 on highway and shifts very smoothly better than me which i like to shift quick. On my 05 stage 2 clutched legacy lol.

One other problem that is arrising is a huge amount of oil is being dumped out vanishing randomly. the exhaust has a little but not enough and i cant figure out where its going. We got a code that poped up for a bank 1 sensor 1 low heater circuit. I took the intercooler off and found oil ring around the turbo so its blowing in. which is bad trubo i belive with the powertrain warranty is the turbo system covered because i want the car to last as long as possible and with only 46k miles on it. Its showing that it wants to die lol. However The problems that are happening mean this is a brand new spec.B and a wonderful piece of machinery. If the turbo is not covered its the bnr evo 16g that will be placed subtle and responsive or even good gas miliage bnr hta .68 if gas prices do not cease to amaze me.

Anyway would the p0031 bank one sensor one be due to the turbo blowing oil everywhere in the exhaust manifold .

Thanks everyone for bearing with me and my horrible writting lol.

I just installed the grimspeed air/oil separator because my 05 gt went through oil like crazy. just did it the other day, so no word on if its oil consumption by crank ventilation system or valve guides..... I'll know by next week....

Natedog, things happen, and cars break. Good thing you have warranty coverage.

For the love of all things Holy, can you please cease putting the word 'LOL' into every sentence you write? This ain't Myspace.

• 1 year later...
Update my05 is gone I sold it coming into the army. The spec. B motor blew from the oil consumption at 58k miles. Since Chilsons Subaru doesn't give a damn I found a low mileage ej257 short block for a decent price hope this fixes my oil consumption issue. Keep you all posted if you want. Thanks

Wow sounds like you now know to check your oil, someone on here say's these car use oil.

Sorry for the loss.

I had to replace the rear diff in my wagon in May 11 too. 140,000 miles and the pin slide out of the spider gears.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived