LegacyGT.com

Issues with finish on Tarmac III's

wukindada

I have sent eMails to Subydude to rectify but as of this posting I have heard nothing:(:(

Here is the issue, Wheels are about 8mo old I purchased them from a 06 WRX owner on Nabisco that had them on his car less than a month.

He realized the offset & tire size was not a good fit:rolleyes:

Anyhew.....

I have been VERY happy with the wheel's but I am having issues with one wheel's finish flaking off. The other wheels are fine but this one is just horrible. It's flaking in two seperate ares. One can be touched up with the paint the other is well simply way to large for that. The other wheels are in "as new" condition

The car is basically a garage queen & there have been NO harsh chemicals or detergents used on them.

Here are the pics

DSC01371.thumb.jpg.ae9af4a515015226cdca303f7ebb628a.jpg

DSC01370.thumb.jpg.64c7a182cd7dffdf49cc280f6764422d.jpg

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

wow...that looks prettty bad. Although you bought them used, I would contact Subydude and get his input on the issue. Worst case scenario you can keep it as a nice 18" spare. :(

I have never seen that before on Rota wheels...

Guest Gitster
Wow, I just picked up a set of those wheels. I put Alot of miles on mine. This kinda scares me. I hope someone makes right on this.

Guest Gitster

Think you can "seal" it to prevent further damage?

Wouldnt look pretty but might be worth it. At this point the whole wheel most likely needs to be stripped and re finished unfortunately.

Being a suspicious kinda guy, that looks like they have been repainted, I'm probably wrong, but have been known to be right on a few occasions :rolleyes:

How well did you know the guy you bought them from ?

You know I was kind of thinking the same thing, esp b.c my Cosmic Blue Rota p45f's are just silver under the blue-bought them used with a small curb check. The black that you can see where the chip is looks pretty shiny too. :confused:

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Being a suspicious kinda guy, that looks like they have been repainted, I'm probably wrong, but have been known to be right on a few occasions :rolleyes:

How well did you know the guy you bought them from ?

I think I agree. Notice how the paint on the spokes isn't the same as the paint on the inner wheel. Last I checked rotas receive the same paint on all surfaces.

And where the paint flaked off, the finish underneath seems to match the paint of the inner wheel as well.

Hard to tell. I know i am having the same issue with my ROTA boost's. They said there were a few between the years xxxx-xxxx that had bad clear coats. dont know how true this is.

EDIT: i dont think these have been re-painted. Mine look the exact same way. And i know mine have not been re-painted.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Rota's have a reputation for crappy paint. When they get really bad, have them blasted and repainted.

I've got Tarmac II's, I managed to slightly curb one already. :rolleyes: I'm just waiting for the paint to start peeling off.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Still no response........

Spoke with a fellow Scoobie owner today & he told me that there was a similar issue with his tarmac II's

I'd recommend calling them. 1-877-DUDE-555 or 510.651.2956

Rota's have a reputation for crappy paint. When they get really bad, have them blasted and repainted.

I've got Tarmac II's, I managed to slightly curb one already. :rolleyes: I'm just waiting for the paint to start peeling off.

Huh. That's funny. I actually think my old Tarmac II's (bought them in '03 for my Accord) have better paint than the Prodrive P1's I have now. I don't understand why the finish on the Prodrives is rough...as if they were being eaten alive by fallout from driving. But they've felt the same since they were new.

At any rate, I had the Rotas for more than 2 years and besides some touch-up of damage I was responsible for, the paint looked like new the day the car was sold.

If they paint is coming off there's really nothing you can do but buy another new wheel. If you think SubyDude will offer any warranty, dont think so since you purchased them from a private owner.

Good luck tho on resolving the issue.

• 1 month later...

Archived