LegacyGT.com

2009 vs 2010 2.5i limited

jonnyt88

Which would you choose and why?

both around 40k miles....

2010+ :I feel like the extra weight of the 2010 makes it sluggish, the seats seem flatter, and the suspension is very very soft {I'd get swift springs though}, gets a little better mpg, a little roomier, little bigger trunk, and I overall like the dash better.

2009: I feel is a little peppier, little better handling. 4eat supposed to be damn reliable, I liked the seats better, I can use my existing 16" WRX snow rims/tires. Little smaller, decent but not as good mpg. Probably won't find certified used

My plan is for a year to two to get finances on track, then pick up a used 2011-2012 LGT.... Therefore if I get a 2010 2.5i, I would just get rims that would carry over..

I would go with the cheaper (I hope :)) 09. The 4EAT vs the CVT may lose out on MPG but in the scheme of things it is not a factor. The weight of the BM vs the BL is about 120 lbs, its a balloon floating around on pillow suspension with a angular dash and the same lame 170hp crank under the hood.

In 2 years from now newer models (12-14') will be dropping in price on the used scene so you may find yourself looking at a 2014 2.5i Limited or 3.6R for the same amount a used BM LGT costs today. The BM LGT is fairly rare the prices may hover above $20K for a while.

I would go 09 (any) over most 10'-12' 2.5i base models.

I would go '09, because in mine I've gone literally 90k miles and have had 0 things go wrong. With the 09 5MT I can get 34mpg highway with the 2.5i.

Depends on what you need tho. If you've got a family, then maybe the 2010 is more for you, but for pretty much every other reason I'd say 09.

i would choose 09....i had an 09 2.5i SE leggy and miss it...but cant complain with my 08 gt now...my fiance has an 11 leggy premium and we take that car on road trips since gas mileage is alot better, however, i find it hard to see bind spots and difficult to see when switching lanes...we are going to trade in her car for an outback or crosstek before winter most likely...

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

My 5th gen has great vision and is the best visibilty of any car that I have owned. All the current Subaru's seem to put an emphasis on great visibility. I have only test driven 4th gen's , so maybe they have better visibility. Are you short?

I rent a lot of cars (about 50 over the last 3 years) for work travel, many current cars have poor visibility, my '12 legacy has as good if not better than any of the cars I have rented.

If you use the back seat a lot, I'd go with the 5th gen. Your existing WRX wheels will work just fine on a 5th gen 2.5i (since it came with 16x6.5" wheels with 205/60R16 tires on the base and premium trim levels in 2010) it's the larger brakes on the GT and 3.6R that require the 17"+ rims.

If you use the back seat a lot, I'd go with the 5th gen. Your existing WRX wheels will work just fine on a 5th gen 2.5i (since it came with 16x6.5" wheels with 205/60R16 tires on the base and premium trim levels in 2010) it's the larger brakes on the GT and 3.6R that require the 17"+ rims.

But the tires will be small... They are 205-55-16.. I think I will aim for a 2009, but if there are none when mine sells, ill get a 5th gen.

Anyone want a 2002 WRX with vf39, 6-speed and lot more mods for a fun car?

Huge curve ball. I was pretty much set on the 09 limited, but now there is a 2010 premium, black interior, cold weather package, Harmon kArdon, 6-speed

It has 70k miles but is certified used. Vs the 09 which has 45k from a non Subaru place.

The 2010 is about $1500 cheaper too!

the 6MT in the 5th gens is crap anyway (compared to the 6MT from the spec.b)

Yes the 2.5i 6mt 5th gen didn't get the $35k spec 6mt, but neither did the 4th gen 2.5i. I like a women with hips not one with a boyish figure, but to each there own.

the 6MT in the 5th gens is crap anyway (compared to the 6MT from the spec.b)
Based on what? the lack of folks blowing it up, even in the GT? Coming from an 02 WRX with the 5spd, the throws are a little longer, but the shifter feel/function is pretty comparable (the STi short throw really helps, too). (even the WRX was floppy until you beefed things up with front/rear shifter bushings and the Grp.n transmission mount)

well, do you want a car that looks like a fat girl with muffin tops from behind?

no? then get the 09. the 6MT in the 5th gens is crap anyway (compared to the 6MT from the spec.b)

The 6MT in the BM may seem as such due to the cable linkages versus direct linkage in the previous gens but it is fairly stout.

The 6MT in the 5th gen 2.5i felt like any other stick I have driven in an "non-sporty" model. long throws, notchless, like butter.

The LGT felt better. I wouldn't say it sucks as it felt better than the A4 I tested. My brothers VW CC felt better than both.

I think a lot of the judgement comes from people with cars like my previous WRX: STi 6-speed, short throw kit, and aftermarket bushings. It was firm, no wiggle room, notchy, short, solid feeling.

most OEM shifters don't feel like that, especially when you get a base model car. While it feels solid, and precise to some, to your basic driver it probably feels barbaric ..

Thats my thoughts anyways.

well, do you want a car that looks like a fat girl with muffin tops from behind?

no? then get the 09. the 6MT in the 5th gens is crap anyway (compared to the 6MT from the spec.b)

Piece of work. The Spec B/STI 6MT was NEVER AVAILABLE for a 2.5i.

The 5th Gen 6MT provides better gas mileage for a 2.5i. The 6MT is essentially the same as the WRX/4thgen 5MT for reliability. Certainly, the 2.5i is not a torque monster so both manual tranys are more than suitable.

There is a difference what shifting feels like between the two. 5MT had linkage and the 6MT uses cable. Cable is to reduce noise, but there is some loss of smooth shifting. Going to a good synthetic fluid makes an enormous difference.

Don't get a 4th gen manual unless your short. Once you move the front seat forward to make room for passengers in the back, knees are in the dash and good luck shifting. Also, be sure your friends are short as well so legs don't get crushed in the back seat.

I checked out 2010 premium + winter package, and a 2009 limited... I ended up with the 2009 limited. As much as I love the 2010+ LGT, I feel like the newer 2.5i was a step backwards in the fun to drive feeling.

Only part I don't like about my car is the auto, but such is life.. I still have the mr2 . I just put on my 16" snow tires, and man that wheel gap is killing me. I spend an hour looking through the spring threat, and as set on the Eibach Pro Kit until I read they were discontinued in 2009.

Other mod plans include flip key, LED interior lights, sway bars, tires. I want at least make it a fun handling car.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/madlife6/09%20Leggy/image1_zps107bd616.jpeg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/madlife6/09%20Leggy/photo_zps81440102.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc178/madlife6/09%20Leggy/image_zps16f98193.jpeg

And the owners decide to sell and stop hoarding the goodness in their garages :lol:

2010 LGT production numbers with the color breakdown, RRP was the rarest of the colors for LGT (sky blue and bronze weren't available for LGT). It's probably similar for 2009 as well.

Archived