LegacyGT.com

cold car problems

So I have a long list of questions please help me with any that you might know.

1. In the morning especially when cold the clutch and transmission with shutter, this happens when starting from first and the shift from first to second. After about 3 shifts the noise and feeling is gone. What is going on? Also I always let my car warm up for 2 minutes before driving it.

2. On colder mornings the engine seems to make a rather loud tapping noise until it gets warm, is this normal?

3. My rpms drop to almost a stall when I get to traffic lights and come to a stop, this happens all the time. What might be the cause of this?

Thank you for the help I really appreciate any advice.

1. Cold temps do that to some cars, have you ever replaced the fluid ?

2. Cold temps do that to most Subarus on really cold days, have you replaced the oil lately?

3. Go to the dealer there is a recall for this issue for the 08+ NA Subaru.

Yeah I wrote a thread about this a few years ago. The dealer has a reflash for your stock ECU to correct the stumbling issues. Used to happen to my 2.5i when it was brand new all the time, drove me crazy! But its a quick fix at the dealer and free!

Tranny fluid will have no impact on the way the clutch engages in my opinion.

To me it sounds like the opposite of the clutch slipping, the disc is sort of sticking at first until it warms up a bit.

Sounds like an issue with the flywheel or clutch disc.

When I had my 2.5i around 38K miles the pressure plate failed the dealer replaced it under warranty. It caused a ON/OFF feeling when shifting. Depending on your driving habits you may have worn the clutch to a point where the cold affects the time the clamping friction produced by the PP causes it to "lock up". You can warm it up and try the 5th gear test to see if it slips then.

The fluid at such low mileage wont affect operation like apexi stated

Okay, mine only stumbles every once in a while so perhaps not the same thing? I don't want to take in to Subaru as they may "find" another problem. Is there any way to read the "firmware" rev on these cars? I have an OBDII reader and software.

If at low speeds or approaching stop lights its stumble to 400-500 RPMS its the firmware. No way to pull the image unless you get a Tactrix 2.0 cable and ECUFlash/Romraider software.

2. On colder mornings the engine seems to make a rather loud tapping noise until it gets warm, is this normal?

After my 2000 developed this symptom, I learned that it's pretty common with these engines. If you go to youtube and search for Subaru noises, EJ25 noises, etc you will probably find your noise. Mine is piston slap and it's bad, but it goes away and the engine runs fine. If it's in the 40s it goes away in 30 seconds and if it's 50 or above you don't even hear it. It doesn't even use any oil.

I do wonder about long term durability and accelerated wear. Apparently a lot of production engines have suffered from piston slap. Ford produced the "hyperkinetic" piston to address it; this is a hybrid piston with an expansion controller ring cast into the forging. It does work and is stronger than low grade cast pistons.

I have problem #1 that you state. I figure at 70k miles and the way I drive that the clutch is on its way out. What's interesting to me is that it is somewhat inconsistent, I would say it is due to the weather, but my car is always parked in a garage. I'm sure I will need a new clutch before 80k... going to milk this one as long as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you guys for all the help.

Here is an update, most mornings now the car seems to jerk and it feels like the clutch is chattering from N to 1st and 1st to 2nd. After 3 or 4 shifts the car is fine and does not display any problems. No matter how slow or fast I let out the clutch the car does the same thing.

I got pissed at my wife last week and dropped the clutch out of the driveway, car didn't really move but the clutch was engaged. When I let off the gas and the car started to go, I got the vaunted clutch stink. But, the stuttering has gone away. I'm guessing that maybe there were some deposits on the clutch or flywheel that I burned off.

You may try and slip the clutch and see if that changes anything. Again, it could be a different issue for me as I've got a decent amount of miles on mine.

That's what I was going to suggest Nick. There might be some stuff on the clutch disc or flywheel, and if you're already having issues I don't see the harm in trying.

Never thought a 2.5i would be told to launch for any reason :lol: Its a win win!

• 1 month later...

Archived