LegacyGT.com

first oil change!

ya so im looking to do my first oil change, and the first change on the car since ive obtained it. i've read through the manual and just wondering about the sealing washer and where im gonna be able to find that?

It says it needs to be replaced

The crush washer is really just there to fill in any cracks or grooves that there may be between the plug and pan. I reuse mine all the time, and have never had a problem. I flip the washer each time to make sure it crushes in a different way each time I use it.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I can change the oil in my 98 without any jacks at all. Oil changes are pretty easy for this car compared to others! Still, you should always have a backup jack or something to catch the car from falling on you. Working under cars with jacks is dangerous business. Have fun!

was able to crawl under the front of the car! wow our oil pan is close!! lol, dont really need to jack our cars for oil changes like MCS had said

anyways

went with valvoline high mileage semi synthetic see if that will help me slow down the little oil im burning, want to go with amsoil but need to make sure im not leaking 100%

ended up using a fram toughguard filter ( not a fram fan but i have heard the orange canister is the one riddled with problems. )

but was all i could find even at our partsource here,

im probably going to change my oil very often now that i realize how easy it is.

thats true and i couldnt find a 5l amsoil jug either. its way to expensive

And i dont know how u change a filter, without changing the oil, or spilling it everywhere?

my dipstick reads a low level though so im not driving till morning. im wondering if it is possible to bend your dipstick but i've put like 4.7L into it already(manual says 4.5) so im not sure if im gettin an accurate reading because i dont see any drips

The only oil that shoud drain out during a filter-only change is that which is being held in the oil galleries of the engine by the filter's anti-drain-back valve (ADBV). The remainder of the oil will still be in the pan, since the pan is lower than the filter.

I'd keep adding in small increments until you see the hole on the dipstick indicating FULL filled in with oil.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

dipstick level is right on the F im stoked, it took around 4.9 like subi said which kind of sucks now ill need to buy more if i need to top up, but car seems to run smoother on the new stuff and its comforting to see it so clear when i do check it.

My friends got a malibu thats been overtaken with sludge

It seems like mine does the same thing. I usually end up putting 4 in there, checking it, and it will say full, but by the time it fills the oil filter and gets everywhere it needs to be, it'll take almost 5. It's strange because I'm so used to having left over oil. Not even my parents cars take the whole jug and those are big V6s. HAHA!

Archived