LegacyGT.com

Straight Pipe Discussion.....

hutru01

I am have been contemplating what to do with my exhaust setup. I have CAI, Catless UP, HFC DP, and Stock CBE with a Dynotune. I know the CBE is restricting airflow. I don't have the money to fork out for aftermarket CBE right now, so I am looking for a cost conscious way to free up my exhaust. My only problem is that I live in VA where cops can be a hassle. I really want to just replace my stock y pipe and mufflers with straight pipes and use the stock tips in the back. (Of course leaving the stock resonator, so it doesn't sound like a jet engine) I figure $150-$200 at a custom shop.

I have searched the threads and found similar setups but I am just wondering if anyone in VA or any other state that has strict laws has done this.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get yourself an aftermarket catted downpipe and an catback setup. I love my perrin CBE fwiw. :) Running catless FTL. Keep the mufflers.[/quote

I have AEM CAI, STI Uppipe, and Cobb HFC Downpipe. I have heard perrin before, it sounds great. I just don't have the money for CBE right now....

Dammit, my car is such a money pit.

:lol: you aren't alone on that. I was contemplating getting a CBE, but I would be better off saving that $700+ and throwing in a few more hundred for a FMIC and fuel pump for the turbo I have sitting in my closet.

Plus I am really against making my car louder than it is. I like the quietness of stock... I wish it was quieter though.

How much could I get a decent turbo setup that would put me over the 300 whp mark?

Take gander at these threads to give you an idea on what will be needed. You could put parts together by looking for deals online as you come across them or you could buy everything from a vendor. The later will always be more expensive.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73626

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71593

You would have to figure in getting a TMIC or FMIC + Turbo + Fuel delivery solution + Tuning + installation if you don't want to do it yourself. Compare the performance gains with that setup and cost to the cost of a CBE and it's performance gains.

I am have been contemplating what to do with my exhaust setup. I have CAI, Catless UP, HFC DP, and Stock CBE with a Dynotune. I know the CBE is restricting airflow. I don't have the money to fork out for aftermarket CBE right now, so I am looking for a cost conscious way to free up my exhaust. My only problem is that I live in VA where cops can be a hassle. I really want to just replace my stock y pipe and mufflers with straight pipes and use the stock tips in the back. (Of course leaving the stock resonator, so it doesn't sound like a jet engine) I figure $150-$200 at a custom shop.

I have searched the threads and found similar setups but I am just wondering if anyone in VA or any other state that has strict laws has done this.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice?

I drive into VA all the time with my straight pipe, but then again I have MD tags.. you'll get harassed more so since you are a resident of the state. My CBE straight pipe only cost me $40 to make. It's 2.5" tubing and I have no mufflers on my car.. it's just a pipe that uses the mid-pipe hanger as the final hanger location and the pipe just sits there:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6715/img0547wi6.jpg

Keefe

i have straight pipes, and find it not much louder than an aftermarket exhaust believe it or not. but i also still have all the cats intact, along with the stock piping

an NA 2.5 Litre motor is way louder than a turbo 2.5 Litre motor... cuz the turbo and cats suppress a lot of the sound.. if you ever get to fire up a 2.5 Litre with a 3" pipe from the header, you'll see what loud really is...

Keefe

We tuned an STi with a completely straight piped exhaust. Catless DP. It was so loud that my teeth were rattling while the car was on the dyno. People came from the neighboring shops to see what all the racket was. There are a couple guys running around with deleted mufflers and even they will tell you that their cars are really loud, but they like them that way! :lol:

That car was only marginally quieter than our 24 Hours of Lemons N/A 2.5L Outback race car when it had open headers with open sidepipes. The race car was so stupidly loud that we ended up changing the exhaust and adding a muffler as it was deafening even when you were wearing a full face helmet.

Archived