LegacyGT.com

alignment after new hubs?

gary_gnu

I replaced all 4 of my wheel hub/bearing assemblies a few months ago because 3 of them had gone bad (2 had been replaced by a dealer only 2 years ago). I've driven a few hundred miles since then and notice some wear on the inside of both front tires, but I don't remember if it was there before the hub replacement. Is it necessary to get all 4 wheels aligned after putting on new hubs?

How many miles are on your car?

It's possible that your bad hubs may have caused uneven tire wear. You might want to inspect your suspension bushings to look for wear that might contribute to alignment issues.

• I Donated

YES it is.

They have to take off the steering knuckle to replace the hub.....and that means taking out the bolts that control your camber adjustment.

Honestly, an alignment should have been part of the job. Call to check if they did it or not.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I can't afford to have a shop to the work so I did the hub replacement myself. I did not have to take the steering knuckle off to do it. Just remove the calipers, and the 4 bolts that hold the hub on.

I did notice that the bushings on both sides of the front looked bad, even took this pic. Should I replace those now before I get an alignment? Anything else I should be on the lookout for? My car's got about 130k miles.

867864558_P1020518(Small).JPG.3f89a5ece801e5c3a06bf4db30d7fa46.JPG

That's the bushing I was thinking was bad. I'll let others chime in on evaluating if it needs replacement. You can get a replacement a arm bushing which would be better than stock.

a diy would require you to unmount the a arm and pressing out the the old bushing and pressing in the new. You will need to take it to a shop with a machine press.

Yes - I'd definitely replace the LCA bushings. You alignment will be fuzzy and your steering and stopping will be squirrelly until those LCA bushes are replaced.

Get something more solid like the AVO or WL ones - if you really want to dial-in your steering, get the offset ones. Adds .5* of caster and really tightens-up the front end. Down-side is that you will pick-up some slight NVH, but the gains far outweigh any increase in NVH, IME.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived