LegacyGT.com

cant find any logging system thats MAC friendly

MDKSDMF

sorry for the double post but i just got a cable from ebay and im ready to jump all over this aspect of my car as im brand new to data logging. i had no clue that a program like romraider wasnt mac friendly.

I've been quite successful running a Windows instance inside of a Virtual Machine on my Mac. I have a dedicated Win XP Pro SP3 with (pretty much) only the drivers, files, and Applications needed for working with the car - nice and clean.

In case you aren't familiar with the world of VMs - the general idea is that you run one operating system (in this case, Windows) as if it were an application on the 'host' computer (in this case, Mac). No partitioning or anything crazy involved and if you have a copy of windows available, it can be done for free. Check out VirtualBox (free), VMWare ($), Parallels ($), Qemu (free), etc.

I'd be happy to help anyone who might have questions about it. Perhaps I could even export a VM I already have setup - let me know if you are interested in this and I'll see what work would be required.

Not sure how well this would work out... I have a lot of timeout errors when logging, I think it's just general dodgy Windoze / USB crap. Running Windoze in VM cannot make that any better eh?

At least it costs you nothing to try :)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I run win7 on mac os via parallels. It logs fine in both native windows and virtual windows. It will also read/write roms and run LV.

I tried it mostly for testing purposes and don't feel too comfortable writing roms with this setup. I've had parallels just quit unexpectedly and that could be an issue if in the middle of a write operation.

For peace of mind I would get a cheap ~$100 win laptop for tuning/logging rather than risking it with your mac. If you're going opensource, it will still be a lot cheaper than an AP.

Smart move, I bought a copy of windows for my macbook, and had problems with the USB ports and logging. So I ended up buying a netbook just for the car...

The good news is the wife can play Freecell on the macbook now!

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Yeah it should be noted that logging is critical if ur gonna mod, and that ya better have an access port or cable and a laptop..i let my ex have my Dell lap top in july when we split. damn lol

Yeah it should be noted that logging is critical if ur gonna mod...

Yep. It's already frustrating enough that you cannot tune in real time, but have to stop, edit your ROM, flash it, reset ECU, drive around a bit to settle everything down, log another run... rinse and repeat. When you start adding more time wasted on USB ports timing out during runs etc. it can really drag out an already slow process.

I would hate to see what would happen if VM crashed while flashing the ECU... good chance you'll brick it. I don't think it's worth that risk. I have no idea why but EcuFlash is very stable for me and almost never comes up with an error. RR logger times out all the time. I'm barely one step better than an 'any key' user with computers so... *shrug*

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived