LegacyGT.com

Prep for oil change

I know this sounds strange, however I'm about to change my oil brand from

Mobil 1 which I have ran in my GT wagon since it was new (now have 160K) and am switching to Royal Purple. Making this change because I have been advised by Brian at BNR Mobil 1 kills turbos.

So the question is do I need to run something through the motor to flush out the Mobil 1 or just drain and add the Royal Purple.

I'm new to having a turbo myself and sis see we're they said Mobil 1 was bad after I changed it and used Mobil one. So I'm going to rotella like a lot are and since it's made for semi engines that have turbos. My question is why the purple? Not saying any things wrong with it just asking is all.

I wouldn't think you would really have to do much to switch but I am going to keep a eye on this. From what I have read on here you should invest in the oil filter for the tubo. I just ordered on and it's cheap insurance to keep it oiled.

well since i bought my lgt .. ive ran rotella t6 5w40 and alot of folks on here run the same .. and never have a issue what so ever... its turbo diesel oil .. i run it all yr around and never a problem ..

ive heard bad stuff about royal purple , but im sure people say shit about rotella lol

I'm not going to make blanket statements about which oils are the best and that others suck, but I wouldn't run Mobil1 5w30 or Royal Purple in my LGT based on some reading and cost.

I have been using Rotella T6 5w40 for many years based on a highly regarded recommendation, as well as Pennzoil Platinum and GC synth in their 5w30. I recently tried Mobil1 5w40 TDT bc it was on the sale rack at Advanced for stupid cheap, and I'll be sending a sample of it to Blackstone for analysis.

I'm not going to make blanket statements about which oils are the best and that others suck, but I wouldn't run Mobil1 5w30 or Royal Purple in my LGT based on some reading and cost.

I have been using Rotella T6 5w40 for many years based on a highly regarded recommendation, as well as Pennzoil Platinum and GC synth in their 5w30. I recently tried Mobil1 5w40 TDT bc it was on the sale rack at Advanced for stupid cheap, and I'll be sending a sample of it to Blackstone for analysis.

TDT is that the euro blend? Same one used in the GTR? I've run that but never sent it to black stone.

Will you post up your findings?

I have ran mobile one, didn't have an issue, but then read on forums about it so I switched anyways to castrol synth for a bit and then used royal purple. A year later, I did a rebuild. Ran amsoil after break-in for 6 months. Now I'm on rotella.

I didnt notice any difference in all the oils, so I'm sticking with t6. It's cheap

I do oil changes at 3k anyways so I'm sure the oil lifespan is still good when I change it.

There is no need to flush before switching to royal purple. For what it's worth, I wouldn't run royal purple. It's a mediocre oil that is wildly overpriced, and I'd love to know how mobil 1 kills turbos. Acura RDX's seem to do just fine on mobil 1 5w-30, which is their factory fill and what dealerships put in them for the HTO-06 spec. Some grades of mobil 1 are better than others, such as mobil 1 0w-40 which I'd consider their best formula. I don't know how much royal purple goes for these days (maybe $8/qt?), but if you're willing to spend big bucks on oil I'd much rather see you spend it on amsoil or red line.

I'm pretty sure Royal Purple is around $10 a quart at Pepboys.

I've had UOA's done with Mobil1 5w30, several samples of Rotella T6 5w40 in three different turbo Subarus, and I have a sample of Mobil1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil ready to go into Blackstone.

Every sample of Rotella T6 5w40 has been excellent.

Archived