LegacyGT.com

Hand brake question 5eat

tailgatewagon

i know that on old 4eat cars pulling the hand brake was very hard on center diffs because they would stay engaged,

so is it the same on the 5eat it seams to disengage when you pull the had brake. ive only dune it a few times on snow just to see if i could tell if the center diff was staying engaged and it seams to not to. i know on the dccd 6speeds they have a switch which opens the center diff when the had brake is pulled... anyway any thoughts and or ideas

If it does disengage the center diff. It would only disengage the rear wheels, the car would become front wheel drive - its the way the diff is made. I do not think it disengages...

If the hand brake was just to hold the car I do not see why it would disengage center diff - Sti are different cars and their diff is also completely different

5eat is either 45/55 or 50/50 torque spilt. If you apply 12v to it then it becomes 100/0 torque split - only by a fuse

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

If it does disengage the center diff. It would only disengage the rear wheels, the car would become front wheel drive - its the way the diff is made. I do not think it disengages...

If the hand brake was just to hold the car I do not see why it would disengage center diff - Sti are different cars and their diff is also completely different

5eat is either 45/55 or 50/50 torque spilt. If you apply 12v to it then it becomes 100/0 torque split - only by a fuse

no silly ! THE FUSE DOES NOT APPLY TO THE 5 EAT

the 4 eat only has a transfer clutch there is no gears feeding power to the rear wheels.. only through the clutch.

the 5 eat has a center diffrential with clutch .. there is a lot of confusion when it comes to how the 5 eat and the 6 speed dccd diffs work. there similiar they are both varying pressure clutches.

the 5 eat has a planetary gearset acting as a diffrential ( weak link )

the 6 mt has spyder gears ( the same as a front or rear diff)

ok to try and explaine to you guys how these work . lets say you put the car on a 4 wheel chassis dyno ( take the tires off and connected to the hubs) as i have put my 2.5 gt 5 eat on

lets say the 5 eat makes 300 whp.

front wheels will produce 45% of 300 hp so 135 hp front wheel hp

the rear wheels will produce 55% of 300 hp 165 hp rear wheel hp

as mine did.. with the center diff fully open you will get these results.

with it fully activated you might see closer and closer to 50% 50% but never actualy see it.

now if you only dynoed the front wheels with center diff closed you will get what ever hp the clutches in the center diff can transmit so lets say 250 hp. and the remaining 50 hp would go into the transfer cluch and damge or burn it

with the center diff open on the 5 eat and only dynoed the front wheels you will get 0 hp

and the same for the rear.

but the rear could transmit 275 because the ratio. and the remaining 25 hp would damage or burn the transfer clutch

if you dynoed a 4 eat 300 whp on all 4 wheels at once..

the rear wheels will only recieve the hp that is capable of being transmitted through the transfer clutch. maybe its very strong i don't know. lets say the transfer clutch can hold 250 hp.

on a 4 wheel dyno the front will produce 150hp and the rear will produce 150 ( because its less than 250 )

if you just dynoed the front wheels you would have 300 hp

if you just dynoed the rear wheels you would have 250 hp . and probably a burnt transfer clutch.

the 6mt is the same as a 5 eat

p_00584.thumb.jpg.0739fac0b9040d66f88f488884638ed8.jpg

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived