LegacyGT.com

ER IU message in trip odometer

So last week I washed my car and placed it in the garage because it was going to be a rainy week and I had my other car to drive. Apparently I opened the trunk and left it open for a week, thus draining the battery.

Now to the point, I charged the battery and it started fine but now I have an "ER IU" message in the trip odometer. I searched but could not find anything. The car seems to run normally without problems... Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
ER IU means there is an error in the Body Integrated Unit. Probably the memorized settings have cleared themselves due to the dead battery. Your dealer can access the BIU Customizing menu with the scanner they have in the service dept.

• 1 month later...
I have a 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5i and ran my battery down. I replaced the battery. When I drove the car there was an error message ER IU and the cruise control was deactivated. An Aussie Subaru technician posted on a website that I should disconnect the negative terminal for 1 minute and reconnect again and that would fix the problem. I checked with my mechanic first and then did this. The problem was fixed. I had heard about people replacing computers to fix the problem so I was grateful to find such an easy cheap fix. Cheers

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...
I have a 2005 legacy gt that i parked for 2 1/2 months while i was out of town for work and of course my battery was dead. Since then i've bought a new battery for it and that same error code came up on my odometer, I will try that method for my self and see if it works then report back.

• 11 months later...

My dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree the other day. Speedo and odo stopped functioning. Brake, ABS, Airbag, and Battery lights came on. Trip odometer displayed "Er IU". Interestingly, no CEL. I have a 2007 Legacy 2.5i with 148.5k.

A search of this forum came up "no results" for "Er IU". A Google search for "Er IU" resulted in this thread first. Using details from this thread accompanied with a thread on NASIOC and subaruoutback.org, helped me troubleshoot.

I disconnected the battery, which cleared the "Er IU" fault and all dashboard lights except the battery light. Measured 12.2V at the battery. Measured 11.8V at the battery when the car was running. Took the alternator for testing. It failed. Bought a new alternator. Installed. All good for the moment.

Upon restarting, I experienced a low idle with sluggish throttle response from full stop. I have had this same symptom the past few years when I have had to disconnect the battery for various repairs. Each time, it took an extended period for the car to relearn its ECU settings.

After refueling this morning, the car threw a CEL. Scan showed P0506 (low idle). After clearing the code, I found a thread on NASIOC with a detailed process for resetting the ECU. Following Uncle Scotty's suggestion for resetting the ECU solved my problem. No more low idle. No more slow throttle response. All is good now.

Root cause for my "Er IU" experience was a bad alternator. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Zebe
typos

• 2 months later...
Upon restarting, I experienced a low idle with sluggish throttle response from full stop. I have had this same symptom the past few years when I have had to disconnect the battery for various repairs. Each time, it took an extended period for the car to relearn its ECU settings.

Just happened to trip across this thread.

The ECU has to relearn the idle conditions (mostly the position of the throttle plate, I believe) anytime it is reset, which it will be if the battery runs down or is disconnected.

From an ECU reset and a cold start, it will relearn idle if you just let it sit and idle for at least 10 minutes before going anywhere. When you eventually drive away, it will behave about normally, instead of stalling at stop signs for the first few miles.