LegacyGT.com

Long distance purchase??

waphill

Has anybody ever purchased a car long distance, and had it shipped to them. I would only be able to inspect the car by picture.

How did it go? Did you use some kind of third party to make the transaction? Who did you use to ship the car?

A forum member has a car listed in the cars for sale forum that I'm interested in.

Thanks for any help!

• Moderators

Choose a mechanic on your own and make an appointment to have the car looked over. It's recommended that you have them do a leakdown and compression test to be certain that the motor is in good shape.

I bought my wagon without actually seeing it. I had it independently inspected, but I chose not to do the leakdown and compression test and things turned out fine, but YMMV. I did not do the tests because the car had low miles (54k) and also had all dealer records to support its maintenance history.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I bought a '93 SS sedan sight unseen. A buddy of mine on the forum found it for me and checked it out. It seemed fine so I sent a friend to drive it out for me but the HGs went after 70 miles. I had it shipped out to me. It's nice now, but I had to rebuild the engine. No regrets though. I love it even though I am still working out some bugs. You just never know what you are getting into. I would be less apprehensive buying a car from someone on this forum though, just because most people on here are honest and everything is out in the open.

I bought an srt-4 a few states away and what i did was joined up on the srt forums and started a thread about the car and where it was at. After a few posts people started saying they have seen it before at the dealership.

I trew a guy on the forums $50 to go check out the car drive it and look over it for me. He responded back to me with all the details of the car, flew out, met up with the guy who i had look at it for me bought him a beer, and drove the car back after i pay'd for it.

Maybe i just got lucky im sure someone has a bad story along those lines but it all worked out well.

Maybe worth a shot to put it up in your states sub-form?

I was living in Maine & bought a bored & stroked 1981 Corvette from just outside of Los Angeles on eBay... I don't know as you can get longer distance than that (within the Contintental US). It worked out great, I had that car for several years. Shipping was right around $800 around 10 years ago.
Tits mcgee

i bought a car that was 5 hours away, but it wasn't technically sight unseen. i told them i would buy it, and they had a guy pick me up and drive me back. on the way back the car drove solid. also helps that it had 1 owner, 35k mi and a detailed car fax report. i filled out he paperwork and drove back home, happy as hell :)

I bought a car long distance paid someone local to check it out. I flew out to pick it up. It worked out for me. I could never buy a used car sight unless it was under special circumstances.

I had a friend who was going to buy a car out of state, he chose not have anyone look at it. Because he was worried some one might buy it out from under him and it had only 14k miles. He drove down with a trailer and it was turd. The owner was an alcoholic and smoker.

I bought my leggie and had it shipped to me 2 years ago. I had a local subie dealership check it out but would recommend if you can find a local independent subie shop check it out instead of the dealer. The inspection came out fine and the car has been trouble free for the last 2 yrs/20k+ miles. Maybe I got lucky, no complaints and it was at least $2k cheaper than any other LGT that I could find in Colorado

I've got a guy interested in buying my car who isn't a local. We're working out a deal where I bring it to a reputable independent Subaru shop so they can take some pictures and give it a sort of "presale inspection." I will then pass this report on to the buyer. This will help him feel better about the purchase because he can be sure there is nothing majorly wrong with the vehicle. I would see if you could work out the same kind of deal with your potential seller.

I was living in Maine & bought a bored & stroked 1981 Corvette from just outside of Los Angeles on eBay... I don't know as you can get longer distance than that (within the Contintental US). It worked out great, I had that car for several years. Shipping was right around $800 around 10 years ago.

Where in Maine were you living? I lived in Orono for four years while I was in college. Given your username I'm assuming you're a member of Greek life as well?

Get a carrier that transports it in a covered trailer. that's what I did when i shipped mine to CA and let me tell you, you don't realize all the dirt and debris that gets on your car shipping cross country until you ship one uncovered. never let that happen to my legacy.

• 2 weeks later...
Get a carrier that transports it in a covered trailer. that's what I did when i shipped mine to CA and let me tell you, you don't realize all the dirt and debris that gets on your car shipping cross country until you ship one uncovered. never let that happen to my legacy.

Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up!

I purchased my spec.b site unseen.. I talked to the guy numerous times (and also googled the hell out of him and checked every post he ever made about his car lol).... He sent tons of pics, maintenance records, car fax, etc. I ended up having him take it to a dealer. I called the dealer and arranged the appointment, and paid them $100 to inspect it, road test it, etc.

They put together a short paragraph report and faxed it to me. Since it was still under the 3/36 warranty, i wasnt worried about the small stuff anyways.

First time i saw the car, was when i drove to VA to pick it up.

If it wasnt under the 3/36 warranty, im not sure if i would have done it that way. Also, it really depends on what kind of sense you get from the seller.

My buddy did something very similiar with his outback, but had it trailered 2000 miles. He didn't go covered, and arrived ok. I likely would have went with a covered trailer. The vehicle transport is the scariest part i think. Most of the companies that do it sub out the job to other companies in that area. So you never really know who you're getting.

Drive it home yourself. Buy a one way plane ticket (cheaper than a carrier), plus there's no better way to get to know your car than a solo cross country.

I bought an 04 STi in Arizona through a forum member, pictures and emails only, flew out and drove it home to Texas same day. Excellent experience and my favorite car thus far.

shipping the car doesn't make sense. Pay for ticket one way and have a trip. I bought 3 cars including my current out of state. I flew for one of them, drove with my wife to pick up LGT. Learn as much as possible about the car, get price on paper and find closest local shop that knows specific type of car and have the dealer drive there for inspection. If you have someone local that you trust that can take the car to she shop for inspection, great. If you don't, you have to make the trip yourself. I had my previous car at body shop for inspection but didn't inspect my LGT. It was bone stock and after couple minutes of crowling under the car I knew there was nothing to be found. Drove fine, checked for codes at closest advanced autoparts and that was it. Did compression test way after purchase when I was tuning it. I took a chance with that compression test I admit. I am the kind of person that would normally take 3 compression test in 3 separate shops in such situation but the car just felt too good, the price was too good and I wanted it too much:). My friend on the other hand bought sti in california few weeks earlier and he had supposidly a valid comp. test on paper that he got from previous owner........1 month later he was rebuilding the engine...so go figure. He won't admit but I bet he wished he took that car for a comp. test before signing papers :) It's always a risk and you have to be ready to walk away even if you burned cash on the trip.

alot of these options depend on your financial situation. Are you paying in cash? Will you be financing it? Those are pertinent questions you should have the answers to that will narrow down some of your options.

Some banks will not send you the check to hand deliver to the seller. Especially if the seller doesnt have the title in hand (ie seller has a loan).

Also, many sellers (i'm one of them) wont let the car they are selling out of their driveway until the bank guarantees that the check clears. Bank check or not... Too many scams out there in the past 10 years involving bank checks.

Is this car pretty special or different? Or are lgt's that rare in the midwest?

Aren't they rare anywhere ??? if you are set on model year and say MT yeah they are rare. Between outrageously overpriced highly modded cars, beat up junk driven by 16 year olds and shady looking deals you can probably count just a few within 100 miles that are promissing finds. Between my experience of buying 3 cars out of state and my friends california purchase it isn't really hard to buy a car out of state cash or financed. It hurts to promote those suckers but chase is pretty good with out of sate loans and generally has reasonable interest rates. It's probably just my perspective but buying a car out of state is jsut another excuse for a road trip :) The one think to look out for is tax. Make sure finance department knows what they are doing so you don't pay tax twice.

• 3 weeks later...

great thread. I've flown out of state on 3 occasions. Idaho to LA, had to buy a return flight. Idaho to PDX, car smoked with the cel on all the way home, then rebuild. Idaho to Sacramento, best dealership experience ever, got a great deal on a clean 91 Legacy SS 5mt.

Each time my gut feeling was correct. Talk to the seller, follow your gut, and get it checked out b4 flying anywhere.

Archived