LegacyGT.com

3rd gear in 4EAT acting up?

BravoZero

My 06 2.5i has just over 70K on the clock, and ever since I bought the car earlier this year, at about 50K put on it, I've noticed that third gear is a little strange, both in automatic and sport manual shift mode. Doesn't seem to do it AS much in sport auto mode.

Anyway, first gear is ok, the typical sharp acceleration, second gear is tame, and fourth gear is fine, but third gear has some issues. For some reason, it seems like the torque converter clutch kicks in way too early and causes the car to bog down a lot. When it kicks in, say at 20-25 mph, the RPM's drop to under 1,000 and causes a lot of drivetrain vibration but if I accelerate enough to unlock the TCC, it feels fine again. Also, the other gears are fine with this as well, but I've noticed that whenever I let off of the accelerator, it takes a few seconds for the entire drivetrain to "relax" I guess is how to describe it, only in third gear.

My only guess is maybe the tranny fluid needs to be flushed out with some new stuff, even though it looks to be fine. Could it be something else other than the transmission? Besides the engine vibration (which I'm told is normal in a H-4), the alignment constantly having to be readjusted, the shocks squeaking, and this transmission issue... the car is fine. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Has the transmission fluid ever been replaced? At 70K miles, I would look into that. It has to get really dark in order to look dark on the dipstick. It doesn't sound like normal behavior to me. The shudder is normal given that the car is at such low revs. I am not entirely sure on the functionality of the 4EAT, but my 5EAT automatically disengages torque converter lock-up when it drops below 1500 rpms.

The guy got on your case because you came back here reproachful because you feel like you are entitled to help. You're not, this forum is a privilege and if you want to continue to get help, you need to be respectful with others. A dose of humility doesn't hurt either. So let's not start throwing insults, that shit won't fly here. This isn't NASIOC.

So what do we have? Instead of you coming back with additional information (such as, has the ATF been replaced at all?) you prefer to insult. Sounds to me like you don't really want to solve your issue, but get some sense of personal satisfaction from lashing out.

I hope you don't treat the car with the same level of maturity, or lack thereof.

I prefer to insult? Really? You don't know me dude, so get off my case. Besides I started this thread weeks ago and it is a dead issue because I don't have the time nor the money to get this piece of crap called a Subaru fixed. This has been the worst vehicle I've ever owned and will never own another one again.

And how is that respect when you act like a smartass and say "here's a tissue for being a crybaby"? You want to throw in an uncessesary comment, I will throw one back. And don't comment on my maturity level, again you don't know me. Try this... it's Monday and it hasn't been a good day so far so when someone's going to be an ass I will respond back the same way.

I know, Subaru is definitely a big pile of Australian crap.

Nobody responded because there aren't that many automatic tranny drivers and, no offense, but your issue was presented with absolutely no involvement from your part, which tends to put people off. In other words, you didn't try doing even the basics to see if it cured the problem. We still don't know if that tranny fluid has 70K miles on it or less. If it does, then your issue is the ATF is most likely spent and needs replacement.

I don't need to know you personally, I simply extrapolated from your behavior here and now. If it is not representative of the way you are, then you either have the wrong opinion of yourself OR you need to check your attitude. You originally posted at 9AM, came back to complain at 3 the same day, then the following. Like I said, you're not owed anything.

Good luck with whatever car you choose next.

Post #1: 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Post #2: 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Post #3: 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM

"Wow... what good is this forum if no one wants to help others out?"

Didn't you know that people get paid to answer questions on the forums? smh. Oh wait, you must be Patrik's friend.

Archived