LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

If I had the choice, I'd go with the FLSD over a DCCD, especially if I already had an LSCD. But the real question is why not both an LSD and DCCD if you have that opportunity (and a DCCD-capable 6MT).

cost would be the initial reason... a front LSD is much cheaper than DCCD or both :p

Go front LSD 1st. DCCD can be put in at a late date, without dropping the 6MT.

Mike

Doesnt the front LSD go in the front diff, and the dccd goes into the center diff after the tranny?

Does the transmission need to be dropped for the front LSD ?

Yes the 6MT needs to be drop to do the front LSD. DCCD does not, just remove the tail shaft cover & you can access the center diff. and replace with a DCCD.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

info for those who want to upgrade his 6MT from non-DCCD to DCCD:

I upgrade my 6MT from JDM Legacy with help of this parts, parts #:

33113AA230

33128AA150

+DCCD itself (bought used from japan yahoo auction)

I did the 6spd swap Saturday I used the 5spd neutral safety switch and the reverse switch but my reverse lights don't work anyone have any ideas

Are you sure you dont have the harnesses backwards? I had the NSS and Reverse switch backwards and the reverse lights were on when it was in neutral:lol: I didnt know until my wife was following and called me to ask if it was normal for my reverse lights to be on while driving.

I did the 6spd swap Saturday I used the 5spd neutral safety switch and the reverse switch but my reverse lights don't work anyone have any ideas

I experienced the same thing. My 6 speed was swapped with both the original NSS and reverse switch. The NSS obviously did not work but the reverse lights did. Recently I switched both the NSS and reverse switches from my 5 speed. Afterwards, the NSS worked great but the reverse lights come on sometimes/randomly. I am wondering if the sensor for the five speed is not completely compatible with the 6 speed. I am now wondering if the reverse switch for the 6 speed should be left intact and only changing out the Neutral Safety Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone doing an EARLY 04 sti trans, (stubbed axles). mine has always leaked, after further research, not only do you have to remove the stubs, you also have to replace the "sundial" or differential retainer on the sides of the transmission for our male style axles to fit properly.

Sundials (retainer differential) 38342AA161 (2) dealer claims same l/r

O-rings 806900150 (2) may not be required but ordered to determine.

Numbers above for a 2005 STi. Local dealer claims sundial part numbers are the same for '02 through '07 model years.

Having the above part numbers should allow a "pinned" '04 US STi to be converted to non-"pinned" and direct fit a STI or LGT front axle. The stub shafts will require removal from the "pinned" transmission's differential. Be sure to review the appropriate Service Manual for installation and adjustment procedures.

i have an 06 GT...local member is selling an 06 sti tranny...if I pick this up, I think I need 4eat rear shaft, r180 diff with matching gearing which would come out of an 06 sti as well I assume? then I would need specb axles in the rear? slave cylinder, 6mt rear tranny mount, and some sort of dccd controller? 5spd nss, 6mt reverse switch. he still has the shifter/linkages all attached...but i need linkage out of a specb or i need to extend by 3/8"? definitely going to run aftermarket clutch/flywheel.

any help is appreciated...im not sure how long my stock tranny/motor will last with gt35r at 21psi plus meth...

Edited by lil_z_33

Yes you need all of the above.. Except for the DCCD controller, that's optional but recommended. DCCD Pro is amazing.. Linkage from the Spec B is needed. Also, the shifter and reverse cable.. Only PIA part, MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO STUDS ON THE TRANNY.. I've seen other people just take them out and modify it to fit our axles, but it didn't work on my particular transmission.. I had to take '02 WRX inner CV's and frankenstein them to the shafts and outer CV's of the Legacy axles.. They worked but VERY noisy without my DCCD of when it was in full lock.. I will be selling very shortly an entire JDM STi Version 8 swap for $4500.. I recently rolled my Legacy after hitting a deer :-(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Warlordzpb/Legacy%20GT/IMGP1220.jpg

Edited by TNPaparazzi

I will be selling very shortly an entire JDM STi Version 8 swap for $4500.. I recently rolled my Legacy after hitting a deer :-(

]

I sorry to hear about your legacy , I'd like to talk to you about that setup. And may take it off your hands.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820589

Here's a jdm setup I'm look at .. Please let me know if you I can make it work in the legacy. Input would be appreciated..

The good:

*Clutch, slave cylinder are included.

* Don't have to mess with a DCCD controller.

The not as good:

*You will need a new driveshaft (Spec B or auto driveshaft)

* I think the hubs are different between the Legacy and Impreza - so the rear hub/knuckle assembly and rear axles may not work or be useless.

* The way I am reading the post, the rear differential is included. I assume you will need spec B rear axle shafts for the R 180 to work, which are about $600 for a pair.

* You still need a shifter linkage from a spec B

Choices:

You could sell the r 180 rear end, axles, hubs and knuckles and buy a r 160 rear end so that you could use with your existing Legacy rear axle shafts. You could also see if the vendor could include the shift linkage and just try to make it work with the Legacy. Some have used the STI shift linkage with no problems and others found that the linkage did not line up well in the Legacy.

Overall, not a bad price/option - just a little work. The six speed is awesome. You will not be dissapointed with it (after the install is complete, that is) I would also want to know what shape the clutch assembly is in. If it is in "not so good" shape, you would need to factor the price of a new clutch in your swap and do it at the time of your install instead of two months down the road.

Hope this helps. And if I am incorrect on any of the info about the hubs, knuckles, rear-end somebody please chime in. I am basing this on my memory which fails every now and then.

Edited by KCwagon

No, the Imprezza and Legacy rear hubs are different. You will need Spec B axles. I think I paid around $600 new for the pair.

This is of course if you want/have to use the r 180 rear diff. I sourced a 3.54 WRX r 160 and the LGT axles were a direct fit. Warning: The r 160 rearend becomes your weak link at that point.

Here is a set of spec b axles used posted today: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ny-qc-rear-spec-b-axles-6-speed-swap-156460.html

Edited by KCwagon