LegacyGT.com

My throwout bearing is making noise. The dealer wants close to $700.00 to replace the bearing and pressure plate. To do a whole clutch job, which would include the above plus the clutch disc and pilot shaft bearing is upwards of $1100.00, total. The prices seem high to me. Any independent Subaru mechanics in the San Fernando or Conejo Valleys who would do a good job at a reasonable price?

Most subaru dealers I've spoken to about doing a whole clutch job estimate around $1350-$1450. Close to $700 for the release bearing and pressure plate sounds like a very low estimate, one subaru dealer told me $1100 for the TOB alone. You already have to tear apart the transmission to replace the tob and pressure plate, so replacing the clutch disc and such really isn't much more labor charges, if any. If the dealer will do everything for around $1100 I would do it, that's a good price.

Why so much$ ??? Labor can't be more than 4 hours! $700 is a better price IMO.

An Exedy clutch kit from Ebay cost me $150. I only had to get the two springs from the dealer (a few $ ). Find a good indy shop. No dealer!

This did not include resurfacing of flywheel, for mine was in great condition.

O.

4 hrs of labor for a clutch job? Did Vettel's pitcrew tell you that? :lol:

I'm pretty sure book is 8hrs.

Don't know what book is. Am going by how long it took me in my garage with a comealong as a hoist.

Again, I did not remove flywheel and I did not remove engine from bay. Just lifted and pulled forward about 18 in or so. More than enough room to remove clutch, install new pilot bearing,TOB etc.

Took more time to reinstall cooling system and burp than the actual clutch job.

If I can do it in 4 hours, a shop can too.

O.

Dealer charged me $775 for labor to do complete clutch job, not sure what the hourly rate was. I know I probably could've gotten it done cheaper somewhere else, but I like going to the dealer over an independent shop.

Dealer charged me $775 for labor to do complete clutch job, not sure what the hourly rate was. I know I probably could've gotten it done cheaper somewhere else, but I like going to the dealer over an independent shop.

Not bad the shop I go to (Mach V) charges $525 to install a clutch I will visiting them later this year for an install, as I have 80K on the old clutch. It isnt slipping or terribly different from 60K miles ago but I figure I should replace it before it fails in stop and go traffic, on a hill :lol:

I have LGT clutch pack in now but will be switching back to a stock 2.5i pack so the next owner doesn't get a surprise :)

If I were in your neck of the woods I'd probably go to Mach V too instead of the dealer, good price and I trust that they have very good techs.

Mach V is one of the BEST shop in my area. They will be No.1 for all things major that need to be done to my Subaru. I also like that they don't make you feel stupid for asking questions about things like: how does offset affect which wheels I buy :lol:

• 4 months later...

For those people that have had a clutch fail could you reply and list some of the symptoms you noticed before hand ?? I want to know what I am in for now that my stocker had passed 100K miles. This week i thought I heard a squeak when taking off but only from take off. I have noticed the pedal feel has more travel these days but no slipping yet in 5th gear. On these recent cold mornings i get a quick quick shutter on the first take off from my parking spot but nothing afterwards.

My choice I feel is replace it now or wait just incase im paranoid.

KSB04 < $200 shipped

Springs clips for TOB are $12

Labor from Mach V $607.75

I had subaru replace my clutch at 97k. I didn't notice any slipping, but my TOB had started to get very noisy. From what I had read, the TOB could go a long time with noise, or it could grenade at any time and do even more damage. Video below is a good example of the TOB noise I had

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVJ5vnO6Jg&feature=player_detailpage]Lexus IS300 Clutch Release Bearing Noise - YouTube[/ame]

Archived