LegacyGT.com

Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis On '11 2.5i

Figured I would share this. It's an oil analysis on my '11 2.5i legacy. I have used synthetic oil from the start (but have switched brands a few times).

Oil was Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30. Ran the oil 6,524 miles and only added about 1.5 quarts. Odometer has 59,237 on it.

Attached is the analysis, they recommended I go for an interval of 8,500 miles next time!

Enjoy and feel free to comment!

11 LEGACY-040114.pdf

Looks good! If you're looking to extend your oil change intervals, maybe you want to do the TBN with the same oil next time. You going to go for the 8.5k interval? I'd consider extended OCI on a N/A motor, but would stick to 3750mi OCIs for a turbo motor.

Looks good! If you're looking to extend your oil change intervals, maybe you want to do the TBN with the same oil next time. You going to go for the 8.5k interval? I'd consider extended OCI on a N/A motor, but would stick to 3750mi OCIs for a turbo motor.

Thanks. I might go for around 8K next time. I'm sure a TBN might help, but Blackstone doesn't need to know it, it's not like this is the first time they have seen synthetic mobil 1 5W-30...

Looks good. Usually I wouldn't recommend extending an oil change interval without TBN, but mobil 1 has a good track record of being an excellent extended drain oil, so I think you'd be fine going 8k. TBN would be helpful though, since TBN depletion rate will vary from car to car.

I'm surprised the M1 did well in your car. We've seen horrible BL results of the M1, and seen lots of consumption of it across the board in Subies for the past 10+ years. As long as you are doing the BL you are in a good spot.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I have a bunch of Mobil 1 I need to use up. A lot of people don't like M1 in the subies but for $25 at Costco I nabbed a bunch of 6 quart boxes...

From what I hear valvoline makes a pretty good oil. Everyone will say rotella or amisol but I don't feel the cost justifies it.

If I were to switch to any synthetic oil next time (something reasonable in cost) what would you recommend? Something that could easily get me 8,000+ would be great.

I have a bunch of Mobil 1 I need to use up. If I were to switch to any synthetic oil next time (something reasonable in cost) what would you recommend? Something that could get me 8,000+ would be great. A lot of people don't like M1 in the subies but for $25 at Costco I nabbed a bunch of 6 quart boxes...

We like Amsoil Signature and Motul X-cess 5w30, they are quality oils.

We've also seen Walmart specific oils (like one with the walmart logo on the name brand oil) to have very different properties than the oil from a regular retailer. Walmart presses the companies to get the best price, but the feeling is that when pressed the manufacturers send over the minimum that meets the requirements...

Color and pour properties of walmart v. retailer oils has been sparingly different.

-Mike Paisan

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

• 2 weeks later...

This uoa clearly shows that your uoa wear metals (not necessarily actual wear metal levels) are just fine running a 20 grade oil. Despite adding over a quart of make-up oil the viscosity still ended up being a 20 grade.

At what mileage did you add the make-up oil?

Mike, that's urban legend. The Wal-Mart labelling is only on the 5 quart jugs because Wal-Mart has the exclusive to sell those. The oil in the bottle is no different than the oil you buy anywhere. How are you testing cold and pour point properties? Are you testing the cold cranking viscosity at -30C or the pour point at -42C? I would like to check out your ASTM test equipment the next time I'm in your shop. :p

-Dennis

I am telling you my observations. Buy 3 quarts. 2 from 2 regular auto parts stores. 3rd from Walmart. Pour them out. The color and consistency is different.

I also know how the buyers at Walmart and Costco work. They work down the manufacturers on price of everything. So the manufacturers give them the price they want.

So take that at face value. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Mike

I am telling you my observations. Buy 3 quarts. 2 from 2 regular auto parts stores. 3rd from Walmart. Pour them out. The color and consistency is different.

I also know how the buyers at Walmart and Costco work. They work down the manufacturers on price of everything. So the manufacturers give them the price they want.

So take that at face value. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Mike

The exact same oil from the same store can vary and most oil companies include these comments on the back of the bottle. It's called batch to batch variations.

Rest assured if the oil from Wal-Mart was different than it was from anywhere else, it would have shown up among the hundreds of uoa's at bitog or in testing by the PQIA.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

No sense in pouring out oil to look at the color when you can have the virgin oil analyzed.

-Dennis

The exact same oil from the same store can vary and most oil companies include these comments on the back of the bottle. It's called batch to batch variations.

Rest assured if the oil from Wal-Mart was different than it was from anywhere else, it would have shown up among the hundreds of uoa's at bitog or in testing by the PQIA.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

No sense in pouring out oil to look at the color when you can have the virgin oil analyzed.

-Dennis

Ok Dennis you are right, everything at Walmart is the same high quality products found elsewhere in the world...

-mike

Ok Dennis you are right, everything at Walmart is the same high quality products found elsewhere in the world...

-mike

Not everything. Just the oil. :) And if you doubt me, we can make a friendly wager and I'll have several samples analyzed. And you know that I don't even necessarily buy oil from Wal-Mart since the Motul in my car came from your shop!

mhoran - That top up you did actually helped the viscosity. I wouldn't exceed 7,500 miles on the interval unless you go with a more robust oil like Mobil1 0W-40 or something that meets ACEA A3 or C3 specs.

Typically, n/a Subaru's have no problems with this kind of interval on conventional oil, but I'm just surprised that the oil sheared this much. Of course, some people (and Blackstone) will say that there's no harm in the shearing as long as the wear metals are normal. The starting viscosity on this oil is 11.0. I would also block out your personal info in the uoa attachment.

-Dennis

If Mobil was selling different oil formulations to Walmart, they'd be required to test and pay for (~$350k per grade ), separate API and OEM (GM dexos1 for one), licenses for them. This would make no sense in terms of a viable business model.

As for this analysis, the only thing of concern is that the oil has thinned to an SAE 20wt - minimum viscosity for an xw-30 is 9.3 Cst. Blackstone only estimates the # of fuel dilution from their flashpoint measurement. In this case I can tell you with some confidence it's >0.5% indicated here. The insolubles and bearing wear levels are low however, so 8500 miles would be fine. You might want to try the Mobil 1, 10w-30. I think you'll find it stays in grade better. I've run 10w-30 synthetics in my Subaru's for years and they perform extremely well.

(I suspect your excessive oil consumption is due to the fuel dilution).

Ted K

Dixie Synthetics

If Mobil was selling different oil formulations to Walmart, they'd be required to test and pay for (~$350k per grade ), separate API and OEM (GM dexos1 for one), licenses for them. This would make no sense in terms of a viable business model.

Never said it was a different formulation. However there are tolerances in every industry, the oil one being no different. Some items that are manufactured meet the criteria for XYZ Widget. Some items far exceed the criteria for XYZ Widget. Some items don't meet the criteria. I'm pretty sure that items that are labeled/branded for Walmart/Costco/etc fall into the "Just Meets Criteria" portion of that.

-Mike Paisan

Every industrial process has batch to batch variation. But ExxonMobil is ISO 9001 certified, meaning their processes are highly documented and controlled. Furthermore since they synthesize their own base stocks, they can control the raw materials stream that much easier.

Walmart jerks all their suppliers around on price. Hence they're able to sell the five quart jugs of oil at a low ball price. I expect there's little profit margin in these for the companies supplying the oil. But it does allow them to use more of their refining capacity.

I'm not a big Mobil 1 fan, having been an Amsoil dealer for several decades. But it's unfair to accuse them of something without hard data to back it up. The product is still comparable to the other off the shelf synthetics from Shell, Castrol, Chevron, etc.

TS

Every industrial process has batch to batch variation. But ExxonMobil is ISO 9001 certified, meaning their processes are highly documented and controlled. Furthermore since they synthesize their own base stocks, they can control the raw materials stream that much easier.

Walmart jerks all their suppliers around on price. Hence they're able to sell the five quart jugs of oil at a low ball price. I expect there's little profit margin in these for the companies supplying the oil. But it does allow them to use more of their refining capacity.

I'm not a big Mobil 1 fan, having been an Amsoil dealer for several decades. But it's unfair to accuse them of something without hard data to back it up. The product is still comparable to the other off the shelf synthetics from Shell, Castrol, Chevron, etc.

TS

In a theoretical world, yes everything being shipped is 100% homologous. But those switches you see in a Chevy that are also in the Cadillac, are in fact different. Same concept here. Widgets that just make spec, go to the low bidder. Widgets that go to the higher bidder get the higher quality within spec widgets.

:)

-Mike Paisan

Things may have changed, but 25 years ago I worked for a motor oil maker. We made probably a hundred different types. You fill a large vat with base oil and then pour in your additives while these huge air pumps mix it all up. Then you test samples on-site and make adjustments to additives to meet the requirements. I bet it hasn't changed much since then. I used to supply the documentation for the various recipes. It was interesting to note that MANY of the competing "mixes" were exactly the same. The name brand motorcycle and specialty oils were different, except for one motorcycle maker (HD) at the time. Not sure what my point is other that probably not worth over thinking this whole thing and making assumptions.

Archived