Quick stats on the car.

2009 Legacy GT Limited (5 Speed Auto)

bought brand new (7miles on it)

completely stock

well maintained

"had" speakers installed (sub and amp)

removed both after the following problem occurred once

Problem:

So the car seems to "freak out", the cruise light flashes, check engine light come on solid, the SI Drive becomes unresponsive(doesn't do anything), and worst of all usually once every time it "freaks" the car will either not shift and red line unless you slow down or will go into neutral until you stop. The car has done this a few times now, but started when the sub and amp were originally installed. We had them take everything out and put back to stock as soon as it happened, problem stopped for about 2 months then happened again. Finally happened again about 2 months later again and decided it wasn't just something random anymore. It has been through Subaru a few times and they have never noticed it, and haven't been able to recreate the issues because as soon as its at its worst the problem stops...

So does anyone have any ideas? I will try to take it to Subaru again and maybe have them look into the ecu. But looking for advise so I don't go in blind.

Thanks Everyone.

this is an electrical problem...and to boot it is a no repeating or consistant one. i have no suggestions for you except to demand a trade for a different one (meaning car)...these type of issues are hard to track down, unless it has already been done and proven...

now as an educated guess, i would have to say you have either a piece of wire that has a small amount of the insulation missing causing a specific short dependant on wire position (i'm assuming here that the wire is moving while driving) or you have a bad ground that sometimes has a good connection and sometimes doesn't...

unfortunately, demanding a trade for a different car of the same make and model will be VERY difficult unless you can PROVE that this issue exists and that subaru will not fix it...if you could do that, you can take your case to SOA corprorate and demand for an exchange...

Good info guys yeah we have a 5 Year extended warranty on the car and its just over a year old so I will just have to get them to look deeper into it. There have been witnesses of the problem as well just not the Subaru guys.

I would be pretty bummed if we had to trade it in. (it would be pretty hard to find another legacy gt in SWP with 7miles on it haha.)

Wow.

This doesn't appear to be an electrical problem. All of the symptoms you described (CEL, cruise blinking, SI-Drive not working) are the normal responses when the engine throws a CEL. Go get the CEL pulled, fix the problem that caused it, and all your problems will go away.

Same thing happened on my 08 OBXT. It was scary. Talk about uncontrolled acceleration, how about no acceleration when you're merging onto a freeway. Same situation as you, I went to the dealer numerous times called subaru etc... requested a replacement car, they didn't budge all they did was say it was a "software" issue and re-flashing the ecu fixed it. After the last time it did it, I said F' it and traded it for a new audi.

Archived