LegacyGT.com

Weird Rattle (tapping) sound while revving/driving HELP

My friend is having issues with his 05 LGT. He is starting to notice a strange rattle sound coming from somewhere around the engine when revving towards 2000 RPMs. This does not sound good at all... This sound is also noticeable while driving. Below is a link to a YouTube video of the sound I took from my phone.

Has anyone heard this sound before have any ideas as to what it could be? Any help is appreciated.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Thanks

Will it Blend? That is the question!

I'm not sure if this is the issue. Defrost was not enabled when testing this. It has to do with engine components. Somone suggested it might be a push rod for a piston. However, wouldn't that sound never go away in that case. This seems to be off and on at different RPMs. Possibly something to do with power steering pump or A/C pump?

Bad news.

Sounds 100% like one of the big-end bearings is dying.

Very common problem on these engines.

This one is a bit further gone:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIS5zjylb4c]YouTube - Poorly Scooby[/ame]

Engine must have new bearings and new piston-rod's.

Pistons themselves are still o.k. I think.

Tell your friend to be wise and let the std. stuff be replaced by forged rods en ACL(trimetal) bearings when he get's the engine repaired.

Cause thót is where the weak spot is, the cause of a lot of EJ20's to break down like this.

(disforming endcaps of the piston-caps due to high rev's)

And don't start the engine anymore, cause in no time you'll get metal parts everywhere which can only make the cost's of repair a lot higher. :icon_idea

If you want more info just ask.

A friend of mine is engine and gearbox (re-) builder, specialized in Subaru, so I know most in's and out's.

*Update*

Apparently he checked the oil and it was Low. exactly at the L on the dipstick. He put one Quart in and the noise seemed to go away. Do you think it was because of the oil or it the added oil just masking the sound somehow? Essentially he heard the sound really bad this morning on startup and driving and now the sound is 100% gone. Any thoughts? The above sounds like a serious engine re-build and hopefully it does not come down to that...

Adding extra new oil will make the remaining (old) oil more viscous.

This can be enough to get rid of the rattle for a short time.

Actually this is why some 'nice' people quickly sell an engine when these problems start to occur.

They throw in a very viscous oil like a 20w60 or higher, and sell the engine as good as new....

Your friend is facing a rebuilt or e new engine.

#1 bit the dust thanks to the factory ring lands. The second one was fully built and at 5k miles decided to self-destruct when the vac line to the fuel pressure regulator came off. Stupid Subaru doesn't put a clamp or even barbs on hoses that see pressure. My engine builder didn't re-zip-tie it after the rebuild like I had done soon after buying the car. A 2 mile in-town trip with that hose off = trashed bearings.

$200 is hard for me to come up with right now so $2000+ might as well be a million.

• 1 year later...
*Update*

Apparently he checked the oil and it was Low. exactly at the L on the dipstick. He put one Quart in and the noise seemed to go away. Do you think it was because of the oil or it the added oil just masking the sound somehow? Essentially he heard the sound really bad this morning on startup and driving and now the sound is 100% gone. Any thoughts? The above sounds like a serious engine re-build and hopefully it does not come down to that...

Hi - I know your post was a long time ago but did the noise ever come back or has it remained ok ever since?

Regards,

Telephonewire

Archived