LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT gear oil change

kc sly

I can't find any where in the owners manual how much gear oil the transmission takes for my 2010 LGT. Also I suppose when changing the diffs oil you just fill until starts running out of fill hole? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

75w-90 is for manual transmissions and Diff's only.

Automatic fluid is totally different. Never mix them up.

You have the 6 speed manual, I'm guessing your best off to buy Subaru Extra-S. If you plan th ekeep the car, I just bought a 5 gallon pail for $130 from my dealer.

Check FredBeans a Vendor here, for there price.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There is a distinction to be made between gear oils used in a differential and oils used in a transmission. Most differentials need the extreme pressure additives in API GL-5 oils and the ring and pinion will not live long without it. Most transmissions use a GL-4 oil which is designed to lubricate the gears but allow the synchros to lock up easily. I also have a Miata and the hot setup for that is Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS which is a synthetic GL-4 oil for the transmission. But GL-5 must be used with hypoid gears in the differential which exhibit sliding friction. If you use a GL-5 in a transmission, your synchros will slip and appear to disappear with hard shifts and the need to double-clutch just to keep from graunching.

The Ford oil is made by Fuchs of Germany and follows the German pattern of making advanced oils for retarded German engines. (And by that I mean, BMW found themselves in a position where one of their engines required a 0W-60 oil to survive because the bearings had been reduced in size for fuel economy, but exhibited rapid wear if anything else was used. And they are not the only German culprit - Porsche used the Reynolds 390 process aluminum blocks that require high zinc content oil or they will self-destruct just like a Chevrolet Vega engine.)

From the Field Service Manual (FSM)

Transmission (which includes the front differential on MT, and front differential-only on 4EAT/5EAT boxes ) - Recommended gear oil and capacity:

GL-5 (75W-90) or equivalent / 3.5 liters (3.7 US qt, 3.1 Imp qt)

Rear differential - Recommended gear oil and capacity:

GL-5 (75W-90) or equivalent / 0.8 liters (0.8 US qt, 0.7 Imp qt)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived