LegacyGT.com

Canadian "Aero" Cross bars for wagons.

Does anyone know where/how to get these in the States(maybe order from .ca online dealer)?

Also, I know not much accessories fit aero bars but does something like the Thule QuickGrip work on it(specifically Thule Atlantis-series boxes) or other similar systems?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or EMS, or ski shop, bike shop, etc.

You could also go on Thule's site.

I did that when I bought my 05 in late Jun of 04 and needed mounts for my Thule ski box and cross bars for the coming winter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nothing I can find has the clean look of the Mont Blanc OEM bars.

I'm 99% sure forester cross bars will fit with a little cutting/shortening of the bars. I messed with a pair a little and they seem like they will work nicely. But they sit higher than the canadian ones.

According to Yakima their whisper bars (flush and through, not cross) will PROBABLY fit with a KS325 or KS328 fit kit. I looked at a 328 and I don't know if it will work, I think that was a guess from Yakima customer support more than anything. I haven't found a KS325 fit kit in person to really see if it will work. Our rails are a bitch unless you want standard round or square racks.

Does anyone know if the fit kit will make the rails sit even higher? Or does the fit kit replace the existing bottom of the rail connector and not add height?

I'll keep you in the loop on what I can find. I need cross bars bad. My bikes are making my interior really dirty and I'm tired of having to worry about my leather.

A lot of the aftermarket kits seem like they sit up higher than OE units since most use some universal components. I'd like to keep mine low as possible to help with aerodynamics; it's just for winter where I want to use a cargo box or attachment for snowboards.

The Forester rails look like they sit higher than the Legacy; but would the ends("towers") interchange between those and the "flush" Legacy rails?

I ride a small-frame mountain bike(Giant Yukon FX) and it's a pain hauling it in the back; I'm worried about the bike scratching the plastics in the back, etc. Have you thought about installing a hitch? That's the route I plan on going next year(currently I use my Honda Accord with a trunk rack to haul around my bike).

I don't mind throwing 1 bike in back. It's carrying 2-3 that makes me stress about everything. My tint, leather, carpeting, etc.

I'm pretty sure the towers are what controls the height of the rack and not the crossbar piece itself. I am confident that you couldn't get the forester towers to fit a different bar, and if you could it wouldn't actually make it any lower.

A trailer hitch rack is my plan B. I really really prefer the roof racks though and would rather end up with a non aero roof than a hitch mount rear. I would like to be able to carry surfboards and snowboards on the roof too when I have passengers in the back.

Funny man we're totally in the same shoes.

Been wanting a set of the Canadian Spec crossbars for the wagon as well. Looks so much better (lower profile) than the lame US-spec ones. I actually have a cousin in Toronto ( he's an LGT wagon owner as well) that has looked into them at the dealer there. Was thinking about having him order me a set and having him ship them to me> Not sure how bad shipping from Toronto to SoCal would be...

As for fitment of accessories...I imagine they'd be similar to fitment on the Thule aero bars, but have no confirmation on that. All I really need to be able to install on them are my Thule SideArm bike racks for hauling my mountain bikes. Pretty sure they'll work with those or I can figure a way to mount them...

Hit me up if you wanna split shipping costs on 2 sets. Might make it a little easier.

Did your cousin ever get you a quote on the actual bars? I'm probably down. Geting sick of not having racks and I don't want to give in and get square bars.

Damn! After throwing my bike in there I could understand how 2-3 bikes will cause concern.

Yeah, one thing I like about the OE "towers" for the aero bars is they seem pretty flush with the original rails. The round and square bars sit above the rails.

If possible, I'd be down too for a set of the aero bars, though I'm across the country from you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have the part number for the Canadian Aero cross bars for the BP5 wagon? I have a cousin that is willing to go to the dealer and pick me up a set and send. If someone else is doing that, let me know and I will be in on splitting the cost of shipping as well.

Does anyone have the part number for the Canadian Aero cross bars for the BP5 wagon? I have a cousin that is willing to go to the dealer and pick me up a set and send. If someone else is doing that, let me know and I will be in on splitting the cost of shipping as well.

Only PN I've found is SCI306631

LMK what you guys! I'm pretty dead set on one of these bars.

I am a Canadian with a 2007 2.5 GT Wagon. All that to say the cross bars you guys are looking for are on my wagon at this moment and I just did some shopping for a ski box.

The Thule quick grip clamps work fine. The problem is the length of the box. A Thule 602 Ascent 1100 is too long, at 88.5", and will not allow the rear door to open beyond +/- the horizontal. I am looking for a ski style box with a small cross section to limit wind resistance. If you are OK with a fat box you will be good with a shorter box. I'll see if I can get you the part number latter today.

Glad to see that that we have something that you don't have. Usually it is the other way around, although you may keep your tea party and George Bush Jr.

Cheers

Rod

Only PN I've found is SCI306631

LMK what you guys! I'm pretty dead set on one of these bars.

Yes, that's what I found too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/aero-crossbar-set-sold-canadai-4862.html

and

Subaru of Canada aero roof rack cross bars (both front and rear in the box): XSCI306631

These aero bars have the "slot" in the top for aero-bar accessories to attach to. I have a set of ski/snowboard racks and bike racks, however I don't know what the part number for these accessories.

This fits the MY05 LGT wagon with roof rails. Not too sure if it fits the LOB because it has a different rail system. Also, I don't know what the SOA part number for the same roof rack cross bar system is.

LaterZ!

Darren!!

I found a set of the now-discontinued Yakima EZ Rider towers & bars locally a couple months ago and gave up the hunt for the maple syrup variety...

Hello frustrated yanks.

I checked the number, SCI306631, at the local Subi dealer and it is good. The list price is close to 240$ Can, but my friendly parts man, and yours too, can let you have them for 160$ plus transport. Subi Can has lots of stock. They come in a box so shipping is possible. Find a dealer closer to the US than where I am if you like. You may save some $ on transport. I am 1000kms from Montreal down river.

If you want to check yourself: Parts man (Directeur des pieces) François Vaillancourt, toll free 866-962-4475, local 418-962-4475, fax 418-962-4733,

f.vaillancourt@autosyvesboily.com.

Just tell him "Rod sent me". That is just so I will continue to be treated seriously by him when I ask for funny stuff or special efforts to find stuff. There will be no $ in this for me as I am a customer and have no commercial interest in the business.

You may also be able to find these at a Canadian scrap yard. If you try that be careful as each bar end has a locking mechanism and requires a key ( one key fits all the locks). There is a special screwdriver (hex end) as part of the package. The top of the bars has a slot, from side to side, that is filled with a removable rubber strip that may have been cut to fit a roof box. Without this filler strip in place expect extra wind noise and reduced aero effect. There is also a loose rubber "shoe" as part of each sliding foot. When all is tight the rubber shoe is not loose.

If required I could take some photos if it will help some of our southern friends. Please let me know soon as I am about to remove the bars and put them away for a while.

Cheers

Rod

Nice Elan, Thanks for your efforts.

I think I'll start a quick "gauging interest" thread in the GB forum. If we have like 10 people who are definitely down maybe we can swing a little better discount from your source.

Also damn the canadian dollar getting stronger!!!

I'll check with my parts guy tomorrow. He told me he had one in his hands last week. Maybe he remembers something about the box. Would it be wise to order one first to establish without a doubt that it is what you think it is ?

Turkeylord: If you are in Fargo you may be closer to Winnipeg or Regina than I am to Montreal. I am 600 miles down the St Laurence River on the north side. Shipping could be very expensive.

I just took my unit off the car. From the measurements that I took I estimate the shipping costs to be in the neighbourhood of 64.36$Can plus sales tax of 15%. The sales tax should be added to the 160$ selling price too. The shipping could be reduced by +/-20$ if it is by expedited parcel rather than express post. Both offer signature upon reception. From what I see neither offer tracking. When I get stuff from the US through the USPS tracking applies to the border but not within Canada. The reverse may be true when shipping to the US.

A commercial outlet may charge some handling fees too as this is not service to one of their customer cars and it is a bit of a pain in the ass with the post office involved.

I expect the box would be 40 to 44" long and about (or aboot) 5X6" in section with a weight of 7 pounds.

If you buy a used unit examine it carefully immediately as there are a number of bits that could get lost and a 4mm allen key in the form of a security screwdriver ( with a little hole in the driving end to accommodate the pin in the socket of the screw ). You should get the screwdriver and the keys with the instructions in a plastic bag. Buying a used unit could be risky due to all the little bits that would result if all the screws (8 in total) were removed during removal from the vehicle. Just ask me about it !

I hope that this is of some use to you frustrated guys.

Cheers

Rod

There is no indication on the box of who may be the original manufacturer. My parts guy does not recall anything and there is no indication on the parts bag that I have.

Try and find a dealer in Alberta that will help you. Their sales tax is 5%, not 15% as it is here in Quebec.

I got these for my wagon last fall. Love them, no idea about the manufacturer. I got them as a gift, and I know my dad paid out the nose for them- after all was said and done it was about $300.

Why the USDM bars are so lame compared to the CDM, we shall never know.

I use a Thule Universal ski rack and it fits just fine.

Archived