LegacyGT.com

Larry myers subaru service dept. Bridgeport, WV: Horrible.

JonnyD3487

My car is a 2010 STi with around 9500 miles. I bought it brand new from Hamilton subaru in Irwin, PA. Awesome dealership, great experience.

The car is obviously still under warranty.

I've got a wheel grinding noise coming from the driver's side front wheel and, I believe, both back wheels. And the a/c doesn't blow very cold in the summer when its 90+ Degrees and the a/c compressor kicks on and off a lot.

I took it to larry myers, they checked it out. Said the A/C was fine, good on freon. Then they tell me that my wheel bearings are fine, but my tires are shot ( "chewed up" ) and that's where my road noise is coming from.

Tires shot at 9,000 miles sounds unusual. So I asked the guy if he thought it could be the alignment. He said he's reasonably sure it's the aligment. and I asked him if he could do anything about it and all he could bring himself to say was that tires aren't under warranty. Which I fully understand. Alignments are under warranty. 12 months or 12,000 miles. So... if the alignment made the tires go bad... should I eat the cost of buying four new Dunlop SP600s???

Anyways here's the kicker: I tell them to leave the keys with a salesman so I can pick it up after I get off work. He tells me there will be a charge!

They charged me $84.55 to tell me there's nothing wrong with my a/c and that my wheel bearings are fine, but they can't do anything about my "chewed up" tires.

I argued with them for a while about the charge, explaining over and over again that my car is under warranty. And they kept telling me that diagnostics is not warranty work. If they could of found a problem with my a/c or my wheel bearings, there wouldn't be a charge. but since they're supposedly "fine" then I have to pay labor rate.

I called Hamilton Subaru in Irwin, PA... Bortz Subaru in Waynesburg, PA... and John Howard Subaru in Morgantown, WV. NONE OF THEM WOULD CHARGE ME FOR DIAGNOSTICS. I explained everything to each of the dealerships. They all considered it warranty work.

Anyways.. now i have to fight with Subaru of America about this ridiculous 84.55 charge AND I still have all the issues. Nothing is fixed. The front wheel still howls around right turns. And for now I'm on my own with the tires.

The tires are cupped by the way. I guess "chewed up" is a Larry Myers technical term for Cupped tires.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a Legacy forum. Please place your remarks in the appropriate forum. That being said ... why didn't you return to the place of purchase? It's only a little over an hour drive to your original dealership. If a vehicle has a bunch of problems, the dealer gets a few chances at fixing each problem before the purchaser can invoke the Lemon Law. If the car is that bad, why make it another dealer's problem? Invoke the Lemon Law and deal with the place you purchased it from as it sounds like the alignment could have been off when you bought it. Also, this new vehicle is notorious for A/C problems. You should have done your homework BEFORE buying this vehicle. Now you're stuck with a vehicle whose owners complain about the A/C as one issue they are most unhappy with in the first 30 days of ownership. Although only 9000 miles are on the vehicle, you can chew through tires in less time than this depending on your driving habits. How fast did you put on the 9000 miles? A year? A few months? A few weeks? Did you rotate the tires at your first oil change as recommended? If so, who did the job? The person changing your tires or changing your oil could have knocked the alignment out simply by bashing a curb. I don't ever trust those quick-lube oil change places with my oil changes. Do it yourself or take it to the dealer. If the alignment went bad through normal use (and yes, this includes bashing a curb) then you are responsible for the tires and the alignment. Why should a dealer or Subaru pay because you failed to keep your vehicle in alignment which in turn resulted in tires going bad? There was nothing wrong with your A/C so yes, you should have been charged accordingly. If the A/C was malfunctioning, the dealer would have had to fix it. It wasn't malfunctioning but the dealership had to spend its time (labor) and tools to check it out because of your incorrect diagnose. Diagnostics is not warranty work. Repair is. Now if you were correct with your diagnose of the A/C, it would have been fixed and you would not have been charged a diagnostic fee. In regards to the tires, cupping usually only occurs with cheap tires or a suspension (struts, etc.) problem. Again, if the place where you purchased it won't charge you for diagnostics, why not take it there or any of the other places you mentioned? Lastly, you say you have "all" these issues when the issue appears to be a badly-needed alignment job, nothing more. The tires are shot because the needed alignment wasn't performed when necessary. Your tires are making the noise you hear. Sounds like there is more to the story than you're letting on. Just my two cents. You sound like you have a personal ax to grind.

This is a Legacy forum. Please place your remarks in the appropriate forum. That being said ... why didn't you return to the place of purchase? It's only a little over an hour drive to your original dealership. If a vehicle has a bunch of problems, the dealer gets a few chances at fixing each problem before the purchaser can invoke the Lemon Law. If the car is that bad, why make it another dealer's problem? Invoke the Lemon Law and deal with the place you purchased it from as it sounds like the alignment could have been off when you bought it. Also, this new vehicle is notorious for A/C problems. You should have done your homework BEFORE buying this vehicle. Now you're stuck with a vehicle whose owners complain about the A/C as one issue they are most unhappy with in the first 30 days of ownership. Although only 9000 miles are on the vehicle, you can chew through tires in less time than this depending on your driving habits. How fast did you put on the 9000 miles? A year? A few months? A few weeks? Did you rotate the tires at your first oil change as recommended? If so, who did the job? The person changing your tires or changing your oil could have knocked the alignment out simply by bashing a curb. I don't ever trust those quick-lube oil change places with my oil changes. Do it yourself or take it to the dealer. If the alignment went bad through normal use (and yes, this includes bashing a curb) then you are responsible for the tires and the alignment. Why should a dealer or Subaru pay because you failed to keep your vehicle in alignment which in turn resulted in tires going bad? There was nothing wrong with your A/C so yes, you should have been charged accordingly. If the A/C was malfunctioning, the dealer would have had to fix it. It wasn't malfunctioning but the dealership had to spend its time (labor) and tools to check it out because of your incorrect diagnose. Diagnostics is not warranty work. Repair is. Now if you were correct with your diagnose of the A/C, it would have been fixed and you would not have been charged a diagnostic fee. In regards to the tires, cupping usually only occurs with cheap tires or a suspension (struts, etc.) problem. Again, if the place where you purchased it won't charge you for diagnostics, why not take it there or any of the other places you mentioned? Lastly, you say you have "all" these issues when the issue appears to be a badly-needed alignment job, nothing more. The tires are shot because the needed alignment wasn't performed when necessary. Your tires are making the noise you hear. Sounds like there is more to the story than you're letting on. Just my two cents. You sound like you have a personal ax to grind.

This is obviously someone who wanted to reply without actually using their true account. Mods are non-existent here so I doubt anyone will take the trouble check the IP address with other IP address for members and ban the user for started a "fake" account or duplicate account in order to hide their identity.

One less to learn from this....never sign a single sheet of paper when bring the vehicle in. Make sure you have two keys, and if they try and charge you, just say you didn't agree (and truly didn't agree to charges) and go get your car and leave.

Additionally, if you have problems with the dealer, seek out the BBB and county and/or state consumer affairs department to submit a complaint. Look for dealer rating sites online and tell the story there.

After looking at this post again, it looks like EyesOverWV did a cut and paste from some long post on IWSTI.com. Maybe his post, maybe taken some other member there.

We can do an IP check on aisle 8 anytime too. But we mods only look in to suspicious behaviour when a thread is 'reported' by you forum members.

I replied in post 4 because I wanted to see where this thread goes... before taking action like closing it or banning members if they have created alternate accounts (which against forum rules).

This is a Legacy forum. Please place your remarks in the appropriate forum. That being said ...

Um... THIS IS A LEGACY FORUM. :lol: Right were it belongs bub.

Also, this new vehicle is notorious for A/C problems. You should have done your homework BEFORE buying this vehicle.

So the dealership is misleading people by selling cars with KNOWN problems and not telling people? This is outrageous.Maybe we should consider burning SOA buildings to the ground till they take responsibility for this A/C debacle? Alternately, we could draw-and-quarter sales managers.:icon_twis

Why should a dealer or Subaru pay because you failed to keep your vehicle in alignment which in turn resulted in tires going bad?

So you are saying that Subaru are incapable of keeping their alignment?!?! :eek: I thought Subaru were reliable cars that required minimal maintenance and were sturdy. I had no idea that they were so fragile and required a weeky visit to the alignment shop.:munch:

Sounds like there is more to the story than I'm letting on.

^FIXED!!!

EOWV, well done job showing how slimy a STEALERship can be. To most of us this is no suprise but if you were seeking little exposure, that was not the way to do it-but it was VERY entertaining.:lol:

Why is "tires" a different color than every other word? That is annoying.

It's clear that EyesOverWV works at the dealer.

To the OP. The diagnosis should have been charge free. They could simply tell you "it seems like all 2010 STi's have an A/C like this. If it gets worse, then there might be a problem".

As for the alignment, you have 12 months or 12k miles. If there was an alignment problem with no evidence of a "curb bash" or other negligence, then the dealer (and thus Subaru) should do an alignment. There is a SMALL problem. Tires are not warrantied by the vehicle manufacturer, but rather the tire manufacturer. Tire manufacturers do not warranty tires against abnormal wear due to misalignment. There is a chance Subaru would "good faith" you tires, because something was obviously wrong with the alignment, but that isn't a sure bet.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Why is "tires" a different color than every other word? That is annoying.

If it wasn't obvious, they are links to iwsti forum. I am sure that is why someone pointed out it might likely be a cut and paste.

I doubt we'll see anything again from this user. The username itself and the response given almost tell the story. I am curious as to others experience at this dealer, but not many WV folks here on the forum (see my memberlist thread).

• 1 month later...

It wasn't a cut and paste reply. I used the same user name each place. The "complaint" appeared there -and- here which is why my reply went to both forums. Since the mod there can check my IP in the other forum, ask about my IP. I don't reside anywhere near WV and I don't work for a dealer. I'm simply a car buff who works for a living and I'm tired of seeing people trying to get something for nothing. As far as hiding one's identity, that's what you get when you sign up on the Internet, ya' hypocrite. You sure as hell didn't sign your post with your name so your claim about anonymity holds no water, bub! It's comical that since I dare express a different viewpoint, it's "clear" that I work for a dealer. Shows what you know.

Someone wrote, "So you are saying that Subaru are incapable of keeping their alignment?!?! :eek: I thought Subaru were reliable cars that required minimal maintenance and were sturdy. I had no idea that they were so fragile and required a weeky visit to the alignment shop.:munch:"

Pay attention. I said no such thing. Try reading it again s-l-o-w-l-y this time: "Why should a dealer or Subaru pay because you failed to keep your vehicle in alignment which in turn resulted in tires (http://www.iwsti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=350) going bad?" I have no idea about whether a Subaru can keep it's alignment or not. Personally, I don't buy Japanese cars because I think they're inferior but hey, go ahead and tell me how I work for this Subaru dealer again so the rest of your friends here can see how far from the mark you really are, and then bash me for my choice of car preference. Amazing how vitriolic some people can become simply because another dares disagree with their OPINION. All cars need alignments sooner or later ... sooner with bad drivers and if this driver bashed a curb and knocked out the alignment, the dealer should NOT be responsible. This is what comes down to these days. No one wants to take personal responsibility. Instead, ignoramuses are looking to pass the buck, get a free ride and bash those who dare express a different opinion. This is a page right out of Karl Rove's handbook ... when you can't attack the subject, attack the person. Well done, cads.

You sure as hell didn't sign your post with your name so your claim about anonymity holds no water, bub! It's comical that since I dare express a different viewpoint, it's "clear" that I work for a dealer. Shows what you know.

Signatures are not available to non-paying members, so we CANNOT sign our names if we wanted to. I use my website and don't hide from who I am. I put my location, my car, and more. SO IT DOES HOLD WATER!!!! Can't say the same for you. I also back up my posts when possible with facts. I haven't see the same from you. I will always post exactly what I would say to someone's face and have made a point to meet fellow board members so they know, respect, and realize I post with every effort to be honest and true. I think there are those here that will back this up if they choose to do so. Can you say the same?

Everyone is always welcome to post an opinion...it is just that...and opinion. But facts are facts. It is why I often suggest in these situations...when discussing dealerships for instance, that folks check their local consumer affairs department with the state or county government. BBB is also another reference. There are sites that also often rate businesses. I have not looked for ones for this dealer in question (in this thread).

BTW...welcome...do you plan on staying or did you stop by to just drop this 'opinion' on us?

-------------------------

Jason Foster <in case weatherwarrior.net isn't enough identity for you).

• 2 years later...

I'm not Larry, StopLightAssassin. I've read several of the posted reviews and take issue only with the one of which I replied. I have no love lost for dealers, simply responded to what I believed to be a valid point.

WeatherWarrior, I had no intention on hiding anything. I simply signed up for an account and post with what I am dealt. This forum decides how much information to divulge regarding members.

My name is Arthur, Artie for short, if it makes any difference to some members.

Archived