LegacyGT.com

Stock Headlights

aldouse

aldouse,

You might want to try a trip back to the dealer, and have their shop check your aim.

This should *not* be happening.

Many members here have "improper" (i.e. bulb-only) HID retrofits, and even under such circumstances, our headlight's optics are good enough to still produce a cut-off/throw/pattern that will not offend oncoming traffic under almost all clear-weather road conditions.

I suspect that your aim might truly be off. :(

Best of luck,

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It happens to me at times also,,,Ya know why I think,,the headlites are alighned allright it's the combo of the fogs and lowbeams that seam to make some idiots think your running with the high beams on.

Low beams only, no flashes,,low beams plus fogs, I get flashed.

my two cents

Rudy

I usually only get flashed with lowbeams on when I have my foggies on too.

Happens a lot in my F-150 too, except I've rigged my fogs to stay on when I flash the passers or turn on the brights.. it's always fun unleashing the Sun on people who thought your lights were bright to begin with.

• 3 weeks later...
Car looks really nice with the fogs...I don't understand how anyone could drive the LGT with lows without the fogs on.
I do. IMHO, the fogs do nothing to help visibility other than making the pavement bright 5-20ft in front of the car. I find it actually hurts visibility in the distance because the foreground is so bright. Do people really put their fogs on just because it looks cool?

Low beams only, fogs only when needed. I have never been flashed by a man or a woman. I heard that the fog lamps a pain to change so why run them without good reason and have to crawl under the car tearing things apart. To look cool I just roll the windows down wear a head and wrist bands and blast Def Leppard.

I've been flashed once, and I knew it was coming too. It was just a perfect combination of me coming up a hill and cresting and the way the road turned that i was able to watch the cut off go just above their windshield! :lol:

I just gave him the brights back. I think they're aligned very well from the factory, but if you disagree, you can always park about 30 feet from a wall with a good delineated pattern (bricks for example) and lower them a couple inches. had to readjust my left bulb after I blacked out the housings. Only to find out that I just plain installed it wrong to begin with. (d'oh!)

ocs822 - Whoever told you that the fogs are a pain to change either isn't a very good weekend wrencher, or have never tried.

You can get to the fogs just by taking away two of the Pop-Its, per side, that secure the aero/splash undertray to the vehicle, and then sticking your hand inside. Unless your head is larger than mine (and believe me, I've got a large noggin! :lol:), you won't even have to jack up the car. I spent less than a half-hour, total, changing mine last time, and now that I've been down there once, I can do a pair in under 10 minutes.

There's a more involved way of going in from above, but that's truly un-necessary unless you've drastically lowered your vehicle *_and_* are not willing to put her on either jackstands or ramps.

------

....the fogs do nothing to help visibility other than making the pavement bright 5-20ft in front of the car. I find it actually hurts visibility in the distance because the foreground is so bright.

+1 - and very well said.

Unless you reaim the fogs, stock, they are designed purely for ACTUAL inclimate weather use, and to absolutely minimize back-scatter by focusing both its beam and its hot-spot being some 4 to 5 ft. in front of the car.

Thus, in clear weather, all anyone is doing by using the stock fogs is to just flood the foreground with light - and as a result, cause their pupils to contract more, thus actually ruining their night-time far-vision. Might as well turn your instrument cluster to full daytime brightness, while you're at it. ;)

There may be some benefits to running the stock fogs, say, if you're in the city and there's plenty of ambient lighting, and you need some extra help demarcating faded lane markings and/or gunked-up curbs (similarly, another member recently wrote of his need to keep more foreground lighting, simply because of wild animals in his neck of the woods - and he keeps his speed low so that he doesn't have to worry about long-distance vision). But honestly, unless you have one of these special concerns, you're truly better off just running the RIGHT set of lights. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Keep in mind, it's illegal to have fog lights on, when there's no fog, in many states.

This is something that's new to me - I will definitely have to research this a bit, but thank you for bringing this up, as I was definitely ignorant of this concern. :)

BTW, do you have any citations for this? (It'll save me from a bit of leg-work.)

I'd imagine that this law would be hard to enforce, though - as divisions between "fog" and "driving" lights seems arbitrary at best, nowadays, or at the very least simply is defined by what's "labeled on the box," it seems. :(

On the other hand, what I do *know* is in the books are rules expressly forbidding engaging more than 4 individual lamp units at the same time - effectively, thus, limiting running either high-and-low beams, or low-beams with fogs or "driving lights" (placed in quotes as such would not be the use of true driving lights, which should be aimed and used to supplement the high-beams). Most automakers have tried to keep their buyers on the legal side of such codes by integrating cut-out circuits which disable certain lights when the high-beams are engaged.

Archived