LegacyGT.com

Clear Coat Failure on Door Handles

I've been noticing the clear coat on both of my rear handles starting to peel in the past few months. Today I noticed that the parts where the clear coat is gone, the paint is now dry and ugly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/havanahjoe/20140906_162528_zps6687f978.jpg

I haven't had any body work done on this car, so I assume paint matching should be simple? Wonder if the existing handles can be refinished, or would it be cheaper to get new ones and paint them?

I doubt they are sold in body color, and if they are, they probably wouldn't be an exact match to the rest of the paint.

Pearlized and Metallic paints are some of the hardest to match. Maybe get some quotes from body/paint shops, but, in either case, it shouldn't be too hard to pull 'em out and get 'em painted up and put back in.

You might just be one of the unlucky ones who got a bum clearcoat in that area. Haven't seen very many fourth gens with paint issues, or at least, ones that haven't been neglected to the point of becoming so -

The oil in your hands and on your fingers does help a bit -

Hmm, but why the to part of the handle? It's the part I touch the least :p

I have the same problem. What is weird is the door I open the least looks the worst and the driver's door looks the best.

In my case, the most used door handles are on the driver's side. I always open the rear driver side door to take my backpack/lunchbox in and out. The front handle is fine, the rear one is looking like the passenger side rear handle.

Pearlized and Metallic paints are some of the hardest to match. Maybe get some quotes from body/paint shops, but, in either case, it shouldn't be too hard to pull 'em out and get 'em painted up and put back in.

You might just be one of the unlucky ones who got a bum clearcoat in that area. Haven't seen very many fourth gens with paint issues, or at least, ones that haven't been neglected to the point of becoming so -

Yeah at least I can easily remove the handles and have them painted, but I was worried about DGM not being easy to match. I'll have to ask around. Anyone know of a good paint shop in San Diego?

Archived