LegacyGT.com

How to Distinguish 2006 LGT from a 2005?

I know this may sound ridiculous, but just need a little help here. I bought a 2006 Legacy GT wagon (5MT) from a subaru dealership up here in Vancouver BC. Did a little more research on this forum to find out that Subaru never made a 2006 legacy wagon with a manual transmission, plus the GT badge now had the 'limited' attached to it. I tried looking online to see if this was true and to find any pics of the badges, but found nothing solid. So either I have a 2005 or the previous owner swapped out the automatic for the manual. I paid a bit too much for this car because it was my 'unicorn' and I can't have this unknown looming over me. So if this car is a year older then I think it is, I feel that I should either get compensated for it or god forbid I say it, return it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for responding. I had checked the VIN. I believe the rule is, the tenth digit will tell you the year. If that's true, then it's a 2006. It's the transmission thing that's killing me. I read on two car review websites and both said only 5eat for 2006 gt wagons.

It looks to be Canadian, by the speedo only. I read a few articles of people asking the same question. One person responded with yes, only in Canada and very rare. I have found no other info to corroborate this story. May be I should just stop worrying and start enjoying (modding) my Leggy.

05 legacy gt came with the half black half chrome headlights while 06 came with all chrome that's how i tell them apart quickly

As a general rule, this is the best way to tell an 05 from an 06-07. .

I always look at vin. Because people can change headlights.

. . Except in the case of a wrecked car, in which case, you never can be sure.

Thanks to everyone that weighed in. I was worried that the car was altered to look like a 2006 because you can never truly trust a car lot. There has been too many instances in Vancouver where car dealers have changed VIN or info on the papers. I rushed into this car because it was everything I wanted in a legacy. Thanks again to everyone and if you're ever in my neck of the woods, beers are on me. Cheers.

Archived