LegacyGT.com

Is a pro-tuned Legacy GT good in snow?

330 ft/lbs of torque at just over 3000rpms and no traction control on my '05, manual transmission.

Would this be a nightmare in the snow?

I've never driven in any real snow, and never in my LGT.

Would it come down to tires? Would my BF Goodrich KDW be ok?

As long a i'm not pretending like I'm participating in the WRC?

My girlfriend has family in Idaho and a roadtrip in Feb means driving up some snowy mountain road. She said my car is a "hot rod" and she'd rather rent a jeep.

Who has experience with snow driving?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you're done with your road trip, can I buy your slightly used snow tires at a heavy discount? I'm sure I'll need 'em. :D

I have been driving my 2.5 GT in the snow, going on 5 winters. Good tires will help with reducing the white knuckle factor or the nail marks in your leg.

For the cost of tires for one road trip, maybe a jeep rental would make more sense, but driving the LGT in the snow is a lot of fun.

Problems you may encounter is how deep the snow is, how bad the road is, and how much clearance your car has. I don't care how much traction your tires have, if you are busting 3 foot snow drifts with 4 inches of clearance, you will eventually stop. :)

Snow driving tip #217: And remember, just because you can go WOT, doesn't mean you should go WOT. ;)

Snow driving tip #014: With AWD, it is easier to go than it is to stop.

hahaha thanks for the info guys!

renting a car would probably be more cost effective than buying snow tires and putting wear and tear on my car.

of course i want to drive my car in the snow just to do it, but hmm, dammit a rental might be smarter.

I know you said you knew you weren't driving in the WRC, but just remember, AWD doesn't make you invisible.. AWD just helps with acceleration.. you still need to drive safely for the conditions and slower on curves.

There was a dumbass noob on the forums a year ago who posted a video of him driving in the snow way too fast and he was complaining that Subaru's suck in snow because he couldn't stop in time to make his turn... but I can't find it.

330 ft/lbs of torque at just over 3000rpms and no traction control on my '05, manual transmission.

That's about where I am. Technically have VDC but I turn it off in snow.

no.

Find yourself a parking lot after the first snow and learn how to drive.

Would it come down to tires?

Yes.

Would my BF Goodrich KDW be ok? As long a i'm not pretending like I'm participating in the WRC?

No. You'll look like you're participating in the WRC at 7 mph if you try to run around in the snow on summer tires... complete with crashing.

My girlfriend has family in Idaho and a roadtrip in Feb means driving up some snowy mountain road. She said my car is a "hot rod" and she'd rather rent a jeep.

Rent the jeep.

I had my summer only's on my 05 back when it was on Cobb stage 1. I made it backing out of the driveway ok. When I put in 1st and let the clutch out slowly, the car slide to the side of the crown in the road. I turned around in the next driveway and luckically made it back to mine (about 100ft) with out sliding to much. I could not make it all the way up my driveway.

I parked it and took the Suburban.

With a good all-season tire you will be fine. I did buy snows for both my Legacy's because I wanted to. I have been driving in snow more years then you have been alive.

It's more about knowing how to drive in snow then having the best snow tire.

For your once a year trip, get a good all-season tire and go play in a parking lot the first time it snows.

I love driving my wagon in the snow. in fact the plate on the car is, GOT SNO.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated

Get decent snow tires is the most important thing.

Second most important thing is take things easy. Ease into the throttle and break to prevent sliding. If you have too much torque from a stop in first gear, you can get going in second gear to help cut down on spinning tires.

Driving in snow / ice can be pretty difficult especially if you have no experience doing so.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You'll die in Idaho crossing a pass on KDW's in February. Those passes can be treacherous in a proper 4WD with tire chains. While I make similar power as you and drive the hell out of my car in the winter on snow tires, I wouldn't take it on that specific road trip. Ground clearance would be one of my primary concerns. Rental all the way.

That's about where I am. Technically have VDC but I turn it off in snow.

no.

Find yourself a parking lot after the first snow and learn how to drive.

Yes.

No. You'll look like you're participating in the WRC at 7 mph if you try to run around in the snow on summer tires... complete with crashing.

Rent the jeep.

Thank you a ton for taking the time to answer!!!

AWD doesn't make you invisible..

Damn. :(

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ummm, it's a f*cking subaru legacy, not a GTR

i would feel 1000 times safer in a GTR, with all the traction control, torque vectoring and safety stuff.

i worked for nissan before, the GTR is a marvel of modern technology when it comes to sorting out driver error.

i would just point it where i want it to go and the car figures out how to get me around the turn. haha.

I'm still confused why you are asking if the CAR will be good in the snow?

The car is the tool. It's the user that needs to be good in the snow.

ANY car can be sufficient in most snowy conditions (properly prepared with snow tires and chains), it's the driver that plays the biggest role.

Obviously no driver preparedness can overcome a dangerously prepared vehicle, though. So summer tires will almost definitely cause you to crash.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Obviously no driver preparedness can overcome a dangerously prepared vehicle, though. So summer tires will almost definitely cause you to crash.

I'm not saying I have mad winter driving skills, but I ran an entire winter with bald summer tires. AWD is huge. I'm not saying it was the most effecient driving experience, but I got throught he winter. It was slow going, didn't have to climb any major hills or passes and I will say I spent more time spinning than gripping, but there were no crashes.

With that said, I would not say the car was prepared for winter driving. In was a PITA and if any one of my other licensed drivers in the house were driving it, it would have more than likely ended up in a crash or in the ditch.

:spin:

Gee, has anyone mentioned that good tires will make the car run much better in snow?:rolleyes:

OP- many of us here run tuned Legacy GTs in the snow all winter long. We keep coming back year after year and have cheated death so far....

Summer tires on an LGT in the snow (or summer tires on any car in the snow) go a long way to help you wreck your car. They don't turn well and they don't stop well.

get some all-seasons or snows and have fun. Stay out of heavy boost and drive conservatively if you are really nervous.

I hope that wasn't directed at me....:lol:

Being a Canuck, I sort of have some experience with snow.;)

The OP- being from california, seems as scared of snow as I am of 110 degree summer temps.

Archived