LegacyGT.com

Broken exhaust studs removal...

So any one have any suggestions or words of wisdom for removing broken exhaust studs? I'm trying the normal pair of vice grips, PB blaster and propane torch but all I seem to be doing so far is just f*ing it up and not getting it to turn at all....any other ideas that have worked for anyone?

If the vise grips and PB doesn't work, go to Autozone or Advance auto/or similar and get an Irwin stud exxtractor. You have to generally pay for the set (you only need the 10mm one) and get a refund when you return.

Pound it on with a hammer and use a3/8 drive bar to turn it. Don't use a ratchet, use a breaker or T bar.

Use a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter if needed.

That will work.

O.

Unfortunately the 10mm was too by bc I marred up the stud with the vice grips...the 8pm didn't seem to be able to grab...any other ideas?

If the 10mm won't fit. it seems highly unlikely that the 8mm won't.

It is supposed to be a very tight fit. The 8 should not go on unless you bang it on with a hammer.

I didn't turn the head bolts loose properly and had to use one to get it off. At least 80 ft lbs of torque. No reason why it shouldn't remove an exhaust bolt.

O.

Archived