LegacyGT.com

Edmund's Long Term Report

I love my 2005 Legacy GT non-limited 5MT. The only time the clutch has smelled horrid was from a high rpm launch across traffic with too much slipping. The hesitation isn't really that bad although it can kind of annoying. It reminds me of a 1996 Mustang Cobra with the IMRCs (intake manifold runner control) system which are butterflies in the intake manifold that open at a certain rpm to let in more air....when the butterfly/plates don't open the engine hesitates a bit. I haven't had a single problem with my cruise control in the 4500 miles I've put on the car since new. I try to have self control with the throttle but it's soooooo hard some times!! My gas mileage has been hovering around 23mpg with mixed city and highway driving with PLENTY of full throttle sprints and quick launches from a stop.

not to thread jack, but on a similar note.......Motor Trend in July issue gave their 1 year write up on the STi (04)- "Bottom Line- Despite our best efforts to beat on the car mercilessly, it begged for more and never failed us once" :)

They complain about the steering being vague, but also say that it inspires confidence on twisty roads. They contradict themselves. Makes me wonder sometimes about the intelligence of professional reviewers.

you sound satisfied as well. Are you? tell me about your stinky clutch, hesitation, cruise control ... before I put the 99 Accord (116k trouble free miles) to rest in Oct.

I love my Legacy so far. Sure the steering could be better and the shifter is years behind my old accord but oh well. This car is awesome. I guess my main gripe is it could use some better shocks. The stockers are just a tad too floaty for me.

I have no clutch issues and the cruise works fine so far. Front seats are great as long as I take my wallet out of my pocket. Interior plastics are fine so far but I've only had the car a few weeks.

The Edmund review was dead nuts on.

Except that I have never had StinkClutch™ and I find the front seat comfortable.

Then again I am a Mutant Poodle Poker from Mars, and my body is different from "normal" humans.

Except that I have never had StinkClutch™ and I find the front seat comfortable.

From what I've read the stinky clutch went away in cars made from December and later.

And the front seats sound to be easier to adjust with the limited package (electronic controls) so perhaps that is a big plus to my parents insisting on the Ltd package.

They complain about the steering being vague, but also say that it inspires confidence on twisty roads. They contradict themselves. Makes me wonder sometimes about the intelligence of professional reviewers.
That's pretty much how I feel about it too. It is vague, but when you throw it in a turn it's very confident.

I must be one of the few lucky ones-never smelled any clutch odor. Didn't the writeup say the test car was a "5A" Sounds like an auto to me. If even the automatics have a stinky clutch the problen IS real bad.

I bought mine in January, and I believe I smelled the clutch one time, but it has definately not been an issue so far...

Glad also to have a wife who wants all the seat adjustability she can get... I wanted leather so the Ltd. was the only choice. I guess I was lucky that way.

Very accurate review. I am going to print that article and send it to my dealer. Maybe they will believe me about the stinky clutch.

They'll believe you if they care. If they don't care, you'll probably never get anywhere with them.

From what I've read the stinky clutch went away in cars made from December and later.

And the front seats sound to be easier to adjust with the limited package (electronic controls) so perhaps that is a big plus to my parents insisting on the Ltd package.

Interesting comment, I have a 12/04 build date and I have yet to smell the clutch stink (6k miles now)

I don't really understand professional reviewers sometimes, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency. The Dec. report on Edmunds as I recalled they were really impressed with the car, loved the steering, etc. Then I read in the next report that the steering is vague, etc. Maybe they turned it over to a different reviewer for the next update? I dunno.

Some of the interior plastics would never pass muster in a BMW and the design of the climate control system is more complicated than it needs to be. The cabin feels a little tight, too, even compared to German sport sedans that are pretty tight themselves.

I find it to be very roomy, then again I'm 5'5". I haven't had anyone say they feel like the car is too tight, and I've had 4 adults in the car at one time no problem.

The climite control is very easy, if my mom who can't work a tv remote can do it, then anyone can.

What's wrong with the plastics? The only problem I've had with mine is the dash must be releasing out some chemicals or something - creating a film on the windowshield. I find most of the plastics to be soft to the touch - nothing too hard.

I guess that's the problem when you test ultra expensive cars and ones that are not that expensive. They start expecting more from the not very expensive cars.

i've had my MT for 5k miles, and have only smelled the clutch once (slipped it REAL bad going up a driveway). i didn't read the review, but other than the tranny issues (Reverse) and the "too high" front seats, i've been very satisfied with the car. interior is nowhere near as chintsy as my 03 WRX was.

Plastics? I like my interior. Maybe it's because it's a limited? I never did look inside a stock GT so can't say for sure.

The steering is very vaque on-center. No question about it as it tends to suddenly wander of it's own accord. Once loaded up though, say, around a corner, it feels very good. Keep in mind, I'm coming from an STi so most cars on-center feel is going to be mushy to me.

Stinky clutch...live with it. Same issue with the STi. I can only hope it is as strong, but I'm pretty sure it won't be:p

Interesting comment, I have a 12/04 build date and I have yet to smell the clutch stink (6k miles now)

I don't really understand professional reviewers sometimes, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency. The Dec. report on Edmunds as I recalled they were really impressed with the car, loved the steering, etc. Then I read in the next report that the steering is vague, etc. Maybe they turned it over to a different reviewer for the next update? I dunno.

Yep, Edmunds.com has a lot of reviewers on staff, so the car will change hands. In fact, I read five different names (Karl, Mike, Ed, Phil, and Erin) in the Dec and March reviews.

Its no different from any other car mag. They all have a lot of reviewers and most of them time they disagree on what's good/bad about the car. I remember the Focus SVT came under fire by half the staff at one magazine because they didn't like the seats while the other half absolutely love them. *shrug*

The BMW plastic thing is a joke.. I think some people have overinflated impressions of it.

Yeah, no kidding. If you read any british car magazines they hate Toyota and Honda plastics, which most people in the US consider the standard bearer.

you sound satisfied as well. Are you? tell me about your stinky clutch, hesitation, cruise control ... before I put the 99 Accord (116k trouble free miles) to rest in Oct.

stinky clutch? only time i had it was one when i was up a hill waiting for the green light and i had ridden the clutch too much. other than that, never had it again (i've got 10K miles).

hesitation? only hesitation i had was not trying to beat all the silly civics at the light...

cruise control? great especially on long trips.

how about that?

116 trouble free? i had 130,000 miles on my chevy beretta gt (change tires and belts/plugs/brakes) before my car was totalled. a lot of it has everything to do with taking care of your car.

Archived