LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theyre better than i expected. They actually give it some tone as opposed to the hogzhaust which is just loud. And with the rest of my exhaust stock it really isnt too loud. I havent had any neighbors complain about cold starts although i can faintly hear it running throughout the house. I havent really noticed any drone but i dont drive on highways much so im never at a certain rpm for an extended time.

I can make a video if you'd like.

• 5 months later...
I went with 1 thick washer and that was about right for my taste. No crackle or pop. Just more rumble and very except able at high speed. It will suffice till I get a complete exhaust system and a turbo mod. Stupid simple.

• 3 weeks later...
I went with 1 thick washer and that was about right for my taste. No crackle or pop. Just more rumble and very except able at high speed. It will suffice till I get a complete exhaust system and a turbo mod. Stupid simple.

I might try this. Two washers with a full D/P and y-pipe is loud as shit. Maybe one I could get away with without having too much drone.

funny hog zawst story

my car was down so long, when i got it going again, i kept thinking, "i dont remember the car being this loud", couldnt think of why it was so much louder than i remembered...

well, I finally got under the back, realized i had hog-zawsted it(again) haha

i had some nuts spacing out my mufflers from my y-pipe. took them out, such a cleaner sound now, and a bit more quiet.

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
How do you guys feel about just cutting the bottom of the gasket off to open a hole there instead of using washers? That way all the exhaust is pointing down so you wont get soot and heat on the car, and your flanges wont get bent like some people are saying. I might try that instead.

• 6 months later...
How do you guys feel about just cutting the bottom of the gasket off to open a hole there instead of using washers? That way all the exhaust is pointing down so you wont get soot and heat on the car, and your flanges wont get bent like some people are saying. I might try that instead.

No posts here for awhile, but I'd like get some more info added (as if there isn't enough already).

I have found limited info in the thread from users who have just cut out the bottom of a gasket instead of using the washers. Does anyone have info/experiences to share on how this compares to the washers or a quieter aftermarket muffler?

Edited by BRGT
sum wurds

• 3 months later...
No posts here for awhile, but I'd like get some more info added (as if there isn't enough already).

I have found limited info in the thread from users who have just cut out the bottom of a gasket instead of using the washers. Does anyone have info/experiences to share on how this compares to the washers or a quieter aftermarket muffler?

That's what I ended up doing, but I also went with two gaskets per side. It was harder to cut than I thought it would be because of the metal ring in the center, but worth the effort to reduce the risk of bending the flanges. Sounds more aggressive, but I don't think it's too loud. Not sure where this would fall compared to washers in terms of noise.

Saving up for a CBE now since I do like the extra rumble, but don't like the soot darkening the flanges. Also, when I have the seats folded down, I can hear a whistling/whooshing sound at WOT on the highway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I just made these, 8 gauge copper wire from Lowe's ($1.28 for 2 feet):

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/dvancleve/IMG_4832.jpg

My goals were to better support the flanges and not have exhaust going up against the bottom of the car. My idea worked, as far as I can tell no exhaust gas goes on anything:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/dvancleve/IMG_4831.jpg

That is the good, the bad is that I really don't hear any difference at all. My two thoughts are to cut off that bottom portion so only the top/inside and around the bolts seals, but that will be directing exhaust gas onto the mufflers at a minimum. The other idea is to do the same thing except with six gage wire to create a bigger space. Any thoughts?

Doug

Edited by dvancleve

Why waste your time with the copper wire, the whole purpose is to create an exhaust leak before the mufflers. I've been running the Hog-zawst with the 2 washers on each bolt for over 7 years. Still love the sound and it's very mild compared to the other aftermarket exhaust.

It all comes down to personal preference with exhaust sound.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I will probably give it a week or so then try cutting them like this:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i229/dvancleve/IMG_4832_1.jpg

If that doesn't do it for me, I may try 6 gauge wire like that. I think some of noise folks don't like is due to exhaust hitting the bottom of the car, so I am hoping to avoid that.

Doug

Plus all that hot exhaust even exiting out the bottom of the flanges is still going to rise up above to the bottom of the car at stops.

So it heats up the spare tire compartment? The only real con about doing this mod is it leaves a little soot around the area. Nothing that soap & water can't fix.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 3 weeks later...
Wanna try this even bought all materials but its a pain to get htose bolts off, have some WD-40 sitting on em for now. Axle-back kind of rusted from being in the north for so long. But hopefully it works.