LegacyGT.com

Buying car without tires?

Did anyone try to negotiate with a dealer purchasing a car without tires, or getting different tires and trading the OEM ones?

I am about to buy a 2007 2.5i. I guess it comes with the new Yokohamas, but I think I want to put Nokian WRs on it anyway.

It would be cool to get few bucks off from the dealer if he could keep the tires. I doubt that would work, unless I bought new tires from them.

Wonder if there is market for 205/50R17 take-offs?

I'd guess not much of a market for that size. Some have gotten credit towards other tires....guess it depends on the dealer.

Side note - I find it funny when dealers put 'optional' wheel/tire packages on a car and charge a premium (like cost is $1k through parts but they charge $2k) for them. Umm....what happened to the wheels the car came with??? :confused: You don't get those....so, it's like paying 3x for them. :lol:

Did anyone try to negotiate with a dealer purchasing a car without tires, or getting different tires and trading the OEM ones?

I am about to buy a 2007 2.5i. I guess it comes with the new Yokohamas, but I think I want to put Nokian WRs on it anyway.

It would be cool to get few bucks off from the dealer if he could keep the tires. I doubt that would work, unless I bought new tires from them.

Wonder if there is market for 205/50R17 take-offs?

not possible, I tried something similar to that when I wanted the white STi with the silver rims instead of the gold rims it had on it.. due to the listing of the sticker of the car's inventory, it's not possible.. no need to haggle because the car isnt warrantied to be sold as-is once you change to those tires.. you can sit and haggle all you want, it's not in the salesman's common practice to allow such changes.

Keefe

When I bought my GT, they took the tires off (they were going to keep them as spares) and gave me a credit that I could use for future service or parts. I believe the credit was $800. I have a good relationship with the parts manager so I suspect this is a rare arrangement. This was arranged with the parts manager after the car was purchased not during purchase negotiations.

Tom

You can also check with your local tire stores to see what they'd give you back on the Yoko's if you buy the Nokians from them. Might not be much, but it will help a little if your dealer won't work with you. I put PZero Nero M+S's on at 5k miles, and the tire store still gave me $20 each for the RE92's, which made my out-the-door total a very reasonable $290, including M&B. They said it could have been more on the trade-in, but the 215/45-17 just wasn't a 'common' size around here.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived