LegacyGT.com

Subaru vs. Deer...we both lost.

I don't post here much but I wanted to share what happened to me.

I was driving approx 115 kph when Bambi decided to introduce himself to my car :mad: It happened so fast that I had ZERO time to react, and so I hit the brakes and hoped for the best.

The good news? My hood actually converted itself into a ramp on impact so the deer launched over my car, missing my windshield and roof and landed about 100ft behind the car. I had my wife and little girl with me, and thanks to a well built Suby we all walked away injury free!

The bad news. Everything from the lights up to the windshield is a mess. I couldn't see into the engine bay very well due to the rad sitting partially over my engine, and the hood covering the rest. It looked like the engine may have been pushed back towards the firewall though...

I am now waiting for the assessment to see what will happen, repair or writeoff. Until then, I get to drive in my sweet FWD Grand Prix!

I took pics and once they get developed I will post them up in the picture section.

I took pics and once they get developed I will post them up in the picture section.

Dude, get a digital camera! Haha.

In all seriousness though, glad you and your family are OK! Deer are probably one of the scariest things you'll face, especially at night. Living here in the Northeast, I see them all the time (those shiny reflections off their eyes), and I just hope that they don't decide to cross the street.

I love subaru and their safety...I hope the car can be fixed, and if not, you find your way back into another subie.

\The good news? My hood actually converted itself into a ramp on impact so the deer launched over my car, missing my windshield and roof and landed about 100ft behind the car.
For you... not for the deer:lol:

Glad you and your family are ok.

Same kind of accident happened to my friend. It looked like little damage(other than blood and guts) but it turned out the animal totaled the car by doing something bad to the engine - which I can't remember now.

:whore: for the digi cam. I hope you asked for one for the holiday season :-)

Good to know you all came out ok. A friend of mine had an accident with a deer and the deers head went through the passenger side window. It was a good thing no one was sitting there.

For you... not for the deer:lol:

Glad you and your family are ok.

Same kind of accident happened to my friend. It looked like little damage(other than blood and guts) but it turned out the animal totaled the car by doing something bad to the engine - which I can't remember now.

Antlers through the engine block? :lol:

Dude, get a digital camera! Haha.

In all seriousness though, glad you and your family are OK! Deer are probably one of the scariest things you'll face, especially at night. Living here in the Northeast, I see them all the time (those shiny reflections off their eyes), and I just hope that they don't decide to cross the street.

I love subaru and their safety...I hope the car can be fixed, and if not, you find your way back into another subie.

I always have my camera when I go on road trips, but murphy's law kicked in and I forgot it at home. Had to buy a disposable one...ironically called a "Fun Pix" cam. Not very fun pictures though :redface:

I have been highway driving for many years and am pretty good at spotting those eyes in the ditch. The only thing I can figure is that he had his head turned the other way, or my headlights didn't catch them to cause the reflection.

The best thing to do when you see deer..

Make noise, use your horn.. Do it while you are passing them tho. If you do it too early, another group of them may run out in front of you.

Otherwise, you don't do anything, they get the next driver.. My dad and I pulled over at a rest stop once, and there were 50 deer standing on the side of the Interstate as cars passed. I walked up the road, started clapping loudly, and they all ran into the woods. Who knows what might have happened otherwise..?

A little bit of an update.

The collision place called me this afternoon and gave me a quote....$9141. I asked if there was any engine damage and was told that the only thing wrong was the timing belt cover was broken.

I will hopefully get a list of what is being replaced so I know exactly what I am dealing with.

Archived