LegacyGT.com

Suspension clunking....Possible problem with my Swifts???

TPLGT

I have posted in a few other threads on my recent suspension woes...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99244

here is one of them...

For the last month or so, the passenger rear has been clunking. It is currently at the dealer. The Tech (I know him and he's good) pulled the spring off and there is wear from where the top coils of the spring have been compressing into each other. The rubber coil cover is split and the other (driver's side) is half split and about to come off as well.

I know the Swifts and Bilstein setup is optimal so I am wondering WTF is going on? I called Swift and they asked me to send some pics as they have not heard of any spring fatigue.

I am dropping off the stock rear struts and springs for the tech to install. if the stockers don't make the noise then it will probably be a spring issue. The Bilsteins only have 29k and change on them and they have been on my LGT for 8k of those.

Worst case, I am going to have him swap the Swifts for the Stock Spec B springs that came with the Bilsteins (JDM rev A.) I guess I am glad I didn't sell them. Here are some pics of the springs and the coil wrap.

Anyone have any ideas?

swift1.thumb.jpg.475e1e8b1269fc1e7488fd1347380f6f.jpg

swift2.thumb.jpg.92a74c7da52f33dff90f7e7f9b3e97db.jpg

swift3.thumb.jpg.13ba1927133f5d57a7a7474bca06eb5f.jpg

swift4.thumb.jpg.2cda5e80c4d465b90dac080ea8020ecc.jpg

Rehab is for quitters.

So I got my car back fro the dealer on Friday. The tech took the JDM Spec B/ springs that came with the Bilsteins and put them on the rear (replacing the Swifts). The car now rides nice and the stance is about equal. The rear used to be a bit lower than the front (typical of Swifts increasing the need for rear shims).

So as it is now, I have Swifts on the front and the JDM Spec Bs. on the rear. The difference in gap is 1/8" lower in the front. the car looks pretty good!

Can anyone think of a reason why I need to swap the fronts for the Spec Bs? Asides from the fact I KNOW the springs are different, it rides A-OK. BTW, the JDM springs are lower than stock USDM Spec Bs....

Rehab is for quitters.

Just find out the spring rate for the spec b springs... If the front springs are more stiff or equally stiff to the rears, you should be ok as long as you like how the car feels and looks.

Archived