LegacyGT.com

Wiper Heating Element

How hot is it supposed to get? The other night it was snowing so I turned on my wiper heating element in conjunction with my defroster. I have set my wiper heating element to be on continuously. The problem is my wipers were icing up a lot. I had to keep using wiper fluid to melt the ice. I stopped at a gas station to gas up, and while I was done I stayed put and left the element on, quite frankly it doesnt get very warm. To be honest, I think I can piss wamer than that thing gets.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That seems pretty weird to me. Mine work really well. As a matter of fact I don't think I've used the defroster to help melt the ice, the wipers seem warm enough to take care of it themselves. Maybe your element isn't working right??

Mine works, but I find it useless. It make the wipers work better, however, the melted ice drips below the element and re-freezes. That bulids up then the wipers dont' go all the way to their rest position. Very annoying in heavy snow.

It sounds like yours isn't getting very warm. I would imagine it gets as hot as the rear dfroster elements.

I would imagine it gets as hot as the rear dfroster elements.

My rear dfroster take 10 mins to "warm up" and let me see a tiny line on my rear glass. Does anyone know is the tint make it slow or it suck that bad? My corolla work very good, but it does not have tinted window.

Get winter wiper blades.

I have Valeo ULTIMATE Wiper Blades and according to them I can expect:

•All-weather/winter design offers resistance to cold weather conditions, no icing (metal parts perform better over the plastic parts used in other wiper blade designs)

I have had issue with our wipers on several counts. They don't always park all the way at the bottom, they build up ice in the park position and along the left edge of the windshield.

Regarding the effectiveness of the heater elements, I think the ice buildup on the back side of the blade is what keeps it from making good contact with the windshield. A blade like the valeo ultimate looks like it would be less susceptible to this problem.

i touched mine the other day and it was pretty hot. my windshield has been replaced twice. so the heating element on the new is actaully black. but mine was hot and melted the ice off my wipers realy good

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

i have Bosch Icons, and they seem ok work pretty good in all this crap weather we have been getting in Iowa. last Thursday I was out in the middle of a snow storm, and I noticed that my wipers were stating to get some build up on them. I then realized that hadn't even turned the de-icer on yet, and when I did they cleared right up!
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

I have had issue with our wipers on several counts. They don't always park all the way at the bottom, they build up ice in the park position and along the left edge of the windshield.

Regarding the effectiveness of the heater elements, I think the ice buildup on the back side of the blade is what keeps it from making good contact with the windshield. A blade like the valeo ultimate looks like it would be less susceptible to this problem.

I couldn't agree more. I actually think the windshield de icer makes it worse since it melts and re freezes.. That is in a real bad storm. I always thought the de icer would prevent me from having to stop and remove ice and snow..

Anyway, if I do buy my car in a few months I am going with the Valeo. The dealer just changed mine under warranty. I asked why all Subies had sucky wipers. He said they just keep changing them under warranty and hopefully Subie gets the idea. My Audi wipers never froze once in 3 years. Of course the rest of the car, that's another story...........

Funny that this just came up. We just had an ice storm here, and I can attest that on my '05, the wiper heat element doesn't do anything.

Now getting out of the car, and banging the wiper blade against the glass--that works!

It can also break your windshield.

Never did the visual inspection but I did take a look at the schematic and it appears that the white connector is in fact B96 from the "In Compartment - Bulkhead Wiring Harness" pin 1-5, 8 are all called out on the headlight diagram and nothing from the wiper deicer diagram shows the same connector. I think this myth is busted.

Archived