LegacyGT.com

Sunroof mod

ncmx5

Hi all,

there was a thread earlier about auto winding windows and auto closing sunroof and there was someone who had a fairly extensive knowledge of electronics. i found a diagram of the OEM sunroof electrical system. wonder if that person can figure out how to do a "one-touch" close in stead of 2 stage.

ill attach the diagram

45 - Sunroof Control System.pdf

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

If someone wants to put together some PCB with a few timers, one could build a circuit that triggers on the de-assertion of the close button, and re-asserts the signal to finish closing it.

/555 timers

//FPGA?

///too lazy to design PCB, just hits the button twice

I might take up the challenge in the coming weeks when things slow down a bit...

Schematic really doesn't tell anything, only real option is to rig up your own triggering method like Ean suggested. FPGA is a bit overkill though unless you wanted to make all 5 windows dance :p

So, I lied...

I know summer is almost over but I whipped up a circuit to enable one touch sunroof closing, now it's a matter of waiting for the parts in the mail, putting it together, and finding an easy way to integrate it without hacking the factory wiring. I might have time before the weekend to take apart the little roof console and examine the space/wiring situation.

More to come...

edit: This will work for the windows also, however it might make matters more complicated since you don't always want it to go ALL the way down. Maybe integrating three more buttons hidden somewhere that are one touch down while leaving the original switches to function as they were. Anyway this will come later.

Can a wagon owner please verify a few things for me? I need to know if you have a tilt button or just the open/close button. Also, can you press and hold the close button for 3-5 seconds continuously to completely close the sunroof or are you forced to press+release for every step of the closing process? And if someone is feeling exceptionally helpful I could use an estimate of the closing time neccessary to completely close the sunroof.

A year and model of the car would be helpful if it's not in your profile.

So far it looks like the wagons are very easy to modify.

• 11 months later...
Can a wagon owner please verify a few things for me? I need to know if you have a tilt button or just the open/close button. Also, can you press and hold the close button for 3-5 seconds continuously to completely close the sunroof or are you forced to press+release for every step of the closing process? And if someone is feeling exceptionally helpful I could use an estimate of the closing time neccessary to completely close the sunroof.

A year and model of the car would be helpful if it's not in your profile.

So far it looks like the wagons are very easy to modify.

'05 Legacy Limited wagon here. There is only the open/close button (no tilt), and you have to press and release if you want it to do anything sadly, and re-press and release to start the next stage of opening/closing. If you hit the button before it is done, it stops at that point. I don't have an estimate for you at this time.

I realize this thread is nearly a full year old, but I just got the car a while ago and this is one of my pet peeves, lol.

One question is this, how does the control module know when to stop the roof? Is there a sensor or does it rely on a timer? If it is a timer how would it know to stop again if stopped partway through the first stage of close?

Anyone know where the sunroof control module is?

I looked everywhere to find where this module could potentially exist. I came to the conclusion that it's probably circuitry built into the motor assembly itself because if you read the service manual it has procedures to 'calibrate' the sunroof.

That being said, I don't have the ambition or desire to completely dismantle my sunroof to pull out the motor assembly and poke around and test this theory and HOPE I put it back together properly so it won't leak.

Only other solution I can think of is a timer circuit that will automatically actuate the button a second time after X milliseconds to finish closing the sunroof.

This is from the 09 FSM...

What I find the most interesting is the integration of ABS/VDC on the roof. There must be some logic that shuts the roof if a disaster is impending. If both ABS and VDC are engaged, the roof probably closes.

I wonder if you could have a button with a timer circuit that feeds power to that wire, with a diode in the factory wiring to prevent backfeeding. Maybe?

Sunroof Control System.pdf

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but this morning while out driving my '09 WRX, I had the sunroof open. When I got to my destination I hit close on the sunroof, and expected to have to hit it twice. I didn't have to. On my 2009 WRX Premium, it's a one-click close. Now, I know the LGT and 08-10 WRX share a lot of components, and the light panel/sunroof switch panel look EXACTLY like the one in my Legacy's when I had them. I don't have access to a Legacy any more, but if someone wants to hunt down a friend w/ an 09 WRX Premium (has to be the premium, as it's the only model with a sunroof), then you could swap out panels and see if it's the switch (could possibly be the motor?).

Anyway, it's something to try. Or if someone lives near/around Greensboro, NC I'll be happy to bring my WRX over and pull the panel out and we can try it on your car.

Really Z?

Interesting. I remember on my 94 Turbo, it was a 2-push-to-close.

I'll have to check on my wife's 09 Impreza Premium (non WRX) and see what the logic is on hers. Unfortunately, I don't have a sedan, so swapping the roof control over isn't possible. I rekon us wagon folks are on our own...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Really Z?

Interesting. I remember on my 94 Turbo, it was a 2-push-to-close.

I'll have to check on my wife's 09 Impreza Premium (non WRX) and see what the logic is on hers. Unfortunately, I don't have a sedan, so swapping the roof control over isn't possible. I rekon us wagon folks are on our own...

I was shocked when I didn't need to hit it twice to close. I can take a vid of it tomorrow if need be. Definitely a lot easier with a 1-touch.

hey im in NC too, lets link up and check it out. My 2009 is 2 touch.

it blows. Best Sunroof I ever had was in my 2003 GTi. it would go to any position in one click.

Where in NC are you? And what model Legacy do you have? Someone posted that their 2.5i was a one touch close, so I'd like to try this on an LGT or at least a 2.5 limited. (Nevermind, just saw you have a 2009 LGT). Just let me know where you are and we'll work on meeting up somewhere.

This leaves us wagon owners alone.

I guess we are stuck with the 3-open/2-close logic.

3-push to open (tilt, 3/4, full)

3-push to close (3/4, tilt, close)

I don't remember the close function. It might be 2-push, I never really paid attention.

Archived