LegacyGT.com

Oil Pan Drain Restriction...

Does anyone know why Subaru decided to add restrictions to the oil drain? Seems really odd, you want this opening as big as possible to get all of the gunk and debris out.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Oil%20Pan/2014030201.jpg~original

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Oil%20Pan/2014030202.jpg~original

Edit

I did an oil change with one of these oil pans and it was awful, oil just gushed everywhere instead of being one nice continues stream. Luckily mine has a quick drain, so it makes it into one friendly stream.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Why that's a great idea, its a safety thing. They don't want the hot oil rushing out of there and possibly burning someone.

Mankind should be greatful they are looking out for them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why that's a great idea, its a safety thing. They don't want the hot oil rushing out of there and possibly burning someone.

Mankind should be greatful they are looking out for them.

You know it all my years I've never had that problem :spin:

Just like the banjo filters right? I've owned Nissan's all my life and while they had some stupid things here and there, I've never seen a continues stream of stupid.

What sucks is we are trying to flush out an engine that went through two turbos already, found pieces of turbo bearing. in the oil pan as is. Thus doing a full oil flush wont do much good if they get stuck in the drain. But with all of the baffles you do run the risk of debris being stuck in those too, if only removing the oil pan was easier...

Either way, when I replace my oil pickup I'm probably going to drill out/grind off the restriction on my car.

22 Ascent STOCK

You know it all my years I've never had that problem :spin:

Obiously you don't work for a big industrial company. There are so many stupid things we do all in the name of safety.

Most of them because someone did something stupid.

Like the guy in WV that wanted to use a old 55 gallon solvant drum for a barbeque grill. He figured he use a plasma cutter to cut it in half...DUH, can you guess what happened ? We just got a re-fresher training today in a email...

Or the women in CA that tried to push a 6ft tall cabinet which had power supplies in the top of it up a carpeted ramp in the office area, luckily one of them only got a broken leg out that...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oil spits out just as badly as it does on my other non Subaru's...

Not the best pic because the bolt is in place, but no safety net...

http://images.rvsmods.com/var/albums/Cars/B15/Engine/SR20DET/Swap/CIMG8847.JPG?m=1345353826

22 Ascent STOCK

That's just paint chipping, JDM SR20's are stored on their oil pans, when they ship it to you the oil pan is generally dented. Requires you to use a hammer to bend it back out. They are painted inside and out, thus after you work on it a little paint chips.

Been running it for many years and it's fine, so not concerned about it.

22 Ascent STOCK

Obiously you don't work for a big industrial company. There are so many stupid things we do all in the name of safety.

Most of them because someone did something stupid.

Like the guy in WV that wanted to use a old 55 gallon solvant drum for a barbeque grill. He figured he use a plasma cutter to cut it in half...DUH, can you guess what happened ? We just got a re-fresher training today in a email...

Or the women in CA that tried to push a 6ft tall cabinet which had power supplies in the top of it up a carpeted ramp in the office area, luckily one of them only got a broken leg out that...

I see the thread. Common sense, not so common.

Still some of the design choices I've seen at subi seem to defy logic or maybe that was your point ;)

04-05 thing for the "cage" around the drain?

My oil pans are newer, one being from my 08.

Yeah, Subaru redesigned the pan in 06. 04-05's also have a stupid bump that gets in the way of some headers.

Here's what I'm going to use on my build. It includes pick up tube too. Moroso PN 20965 billet aluminum 5 quart oil pan.

http://autoplicity.com/masterimages/full/EBA/13/137128.jpg.ashx?maxwidth=328&maxheight=228

Here's what I'm going to use on my build. It includes pick up tube too. Moroso PN 20965 billet aluminum 5 quart oil pan.

http://autoplicity.com/masterimages/full/EBA/13/137128.jpg.ashx?maxwidth=328&maxheight=228

Unless you are going to track the car, no need for the Moroso pan. The baffles in place will keep the oil where its meant to be while in the corners to prevent starvation.

Unless you are going to track the car, no need for the Moroso pan. The baffles in place will keep the oil where its meant to be while in the corners to prevent starvation.

I might be getting some starvation on the streets ;)

Yeah, Subaru redesigned the pan in 06. 04-05's also have a stupid bump that gets in the way of some headers.

Actually there was a split in 05. The later ones have the 06 pan. Mine is a late 05 without the stupid cage. Subaru parts department calls it an '05 1/2.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Looks like the replacement oil pan is 11109AA151. Which is the same as the 06+ STI.

Seeing this post, it seems like there is a baffle bolted to the block that might need to be replaced. I also am wondering if I will need a new oil stick and oil tube.

Here is another thread with EJ20 vs Ej25 baffles and oil sticks comparision.

EDIT:

I called my local Subaru dealer and he said that for 05 it's 11109AA131, and 06 its 11109AA151. But he did say the oil pickup tubes are different and dipsticks are too.

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived