LegacyGT.com

Radio Swap 2007/08 into a 2005 for AUX-In / ipod

Rob275

I haven't found anyone who has swapped out a head unit OUT of a 2005 Legacy WITHOUT a 6 disc change and WITHOUT dual climate control.

I would like to know:

1. if I could put a 2007/08 head unit that has the AUX-IN into my 2005 Legacy?

2. If so, then how/where do I get the wire that goes from the din aux-in to the iPod wire? My local Subaru dealer says it doesn't exist.

Please help. I don't really want to use my FM transmitter any more and I don't really want to put in a 3rd party radio.

Thanks

- Rob

So your 2005 Legacy has a single CD with manual climate controls.

What you're looking for is a 2007-up Legacy or Outback 6-disc radio that also has manual climate controls. I don't think that combination exists -- I think all the 6-disc units have auto A/C controls (either single- or dual-zone). You can't install an auto A/C unit in your car.

If that did exist (and for people swapping radios with single- or dual-zone automatic A/C), I have an adapter for the "i85" aux harness. See this post.

ADDED: See this page: Legacy/Outback Gen4 HU Transplant.

Sorry, but the easiest solution for you is to go aftermarket -- any single- or dual-DIN sized radio, via a relatively inexpensive install kit that has a new fascia (with holes for all of your manual A/C knobs). If it's theft you're worried about, you can contruct a false face that looks like your stock HU.

If you absolutely have to keep the "stock" look, I suppose you could do the reverse of what people with auto A/C HUs were doing -- hack up the radio to split out and hide the A/C control portion. Not worth the time/effort, though.

Thanks for much for the reply. I was starting to come to the conclusion you are saying - that I don't have a choice but to go with a third party HU.

But, this is what stumped me a bit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08-SUBARU-LEGACY-RADIO-CD-MP3-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ200394736360QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Audio_Video?hash=item2ea87502e8#ht_3937wt_847

It looks EXACTLY like my set up now, with the manual climate stuff on the bottom and a single disk player but ALSO an AUX in. The questions are: 1. will it really fit, 2. how do I actually get to the AUX in if it does fit?

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

- Rob

Oh, I misunderstood and thought you wanted 6-disc. Yes, that HU is a single-disc with MP3 and Aux, for cars with manual A/C controls. That will work in your 2005.

OEM HUs in 2005-2009 Legacy/Outback are interchangeable (other than differences on the i85 harness), as long as you're swapping between cars with the same type of A/C control. See the link in my earlier post for more information about the functions on the i85 harness on the different years.

To connect an aux jack, see my "i85 transplant adapter" (see my homepage link -- click on my username). You'll also need to add a jack or plug to connect to your aux device.

2. how/where do I get the wire that goes from the din aux-in to the iPod wire? My local Subaru dealer says it doesn't exist.

Your dealer is correct two different ways --

Subaru doesn't sell the harness that plugs into the 2007-up Legacy/Outback i85 socket (with the pins for the aux input), because that harness merges into a larger harness behind the instrument panel.

Secondly, Subaru's iPod interface kit connects to the 20-pin changer/satellite port on the back of the HU. More info, pics, and links to Subaru's installation instructions in this thread:

(for 2008-up Impreza and 2009-up Forester)

(iPod adapters and more - search for Legacy/Outback)

- install guide (PDF, 2.6MB)

According to the info on the "Subaru-pedia" site Cars101.com, the iPod interface controls an iPod or iPhone through the factory HU, and also recharges (except for 4th generation Nano and 2ndGen iPhone). Compatible with all Legacy and Outback 2007, 2008, 2009. Not compatible with the OEM satellite radio module (both interfaces connect to the same port, and if you try to connect both, the satellite module always takes precedence).

Subaru's iPod module install instructions also show how to remove the HU.

Here are a couple of other threads I was able to dig up that describe removing the OEM HU (and which still have working pictures):

If you mainly want to connect an iPod and otherwise don't care about having the aux input, then you can probably get by without using my i85 adapter.

If you do want to use the newer HU's aux input, you'll need to add a cable with a plug or jack (probably 3.5mm) wired to my i85 adapter. Here are a few options:

• Loose cable

The easiest and cheapest solution would be to connect a cable with a 3.5mm plug or jack, and have the end emerge somewhere in your car (glove box, ashtray, cubby above the radio, or armrest center console cubby). You would plug that into your MP3 player.

• Panel-mount jack

I've found this surface-mount 3.5mm jack kit that you could install in your car:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3415/is335auxcablekit.th.jpg

The cable is 6' long and has a stereo 3.5mm plug at the other end.

The kit includes a 4' male-to-male cable you can use to connect your MP3 player. It also has a short adapter cable with RCA plugs to 3.5mm jack (which you'd normally only need to use with an aftermarket HU).

• OEM-style Aux jack

You can buy the 2007/2008 Legacy center console cubby (the bin portion that houses the 12V accessory power outlet) and the aux pod, and transplant those into your 2005.

You will also need a compatible OEM cable. Frustratingly, Subaru doesn't offer one for Legacy/Outback -- same problem as with the i85 harness (it's intermingled with other harnesses).

In the 'Spec B Radio information' thread, starting at post #319, Greg (Scooby2.5) describes his adventure.

We discovered that the aux jack kit for 2008 Impreza includes an aux pod similar to the Legacy's, plus a cable with the same plug. Unfortunately, Greg found that the Impreza cable did not work with the Legacy pod -- Subaru used different pin assignments on the 6-pin connectors on the pods. So Greg had to steal the PC board from the Impreza pod and trim that to fit inside the Legacy pod.

However, it is possible to re-pin the wires on the Impreza cable so that it will work with the Legacy pod (see this post). Then you can cut off the 8-pin Impreza plug at the other end and solder the cable to my i85 adapter..

See this thread: Installed - Aux port - 2005 Outback (long)

Thanks for all the help with the 2005 to 2007 Legacy HU swap. Now, the next step (now that I think I have all the parts on the way) is to actually remove the HU.

Looking for some basic help.

Mostly just getting me started.

This is a 2005 Legacy Outback with manual climate control and a single disk HU. I am replacing it with a single disk HU from a 2007/08 that HAS an AUX in.

From other threads, I have surmised the dis assembly process starts with the gear shift chrome trim. Is there a trick here? (don't really want to break anything)

Then what?

I have found some Subaru PDFs, but they don't really give any detail about the actual removal.

Again, any help appreciated.

- Rob275

• 2 months later...
anyone know if the part # 86201ag72a stereo will fit in my 05 legacy of the same controls style?

That's a 1-disc with manual A/C controls. It also has the aux input, right?

Yes, it will fit your 2005, as long as your car has manual A/C controls.

• 5 months later...
I just bought an 05 Legacy and the single disc CD player is not reading any CDs, I found an 09 radio (86201AG72A) with the aux input. With that part number referenced above do i still need the i85 adapter?

Yes, if you want to use the aux input on the new HU.

If you don't care about using the aux input, you can plug your car's i85 harness straight into the new HU. Then the audio steering wheel controls (if you have them) and the night dimness cancellation feature ("BRIGHT" mode) will still work with the new HU.

The i85 adapter is only needed as a way to easily get aux audio into the new HU.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I'm a broke college student all this took me way to long to do. But it's finally all done and I'm LOVING IT! I got the stereo a day after the post where I asked about it, for only $46! Not a single problem with it, then I threw in the cheap cubby-mod and put in a custom mount for my phone. Last but not least I got svx's harness, wired it with an auxiliary kit and presto, everything works like a charm. Oh and if anyones wondering, I did purposely, with good reasoning, place that aux-in jack on the passenger side of the center console right by the seat-belt lock. There is a method to that madness that will help out in my future modification of this setup. Huge thanks to svx who couldn't have been more helpful in this whole thing! :)

Image019.thumb.jpg.1a24da45f97e49434fa787a45ca8a450.jpg

Image022.thumb.jpg.8bb342f02e4d68fcedda111a5d2cc8e6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Ok so I dont mean to beat a dead horse but I am currently in the process of swaping my 05 outbacks manual A/C HU out for an 08 manual A/C HU

I understand that they all line up and are compatable but 'SVXdc' do I need your i85 adapter?

If so how to I buy it from you?

Once I get it how to I make it so I can plug in my ipod or iphone with it?

I am lost on this post from what the difference between the i85 and aux in adapter I guess

Thanks

• 1 month later...
I am also doing a factory HU swap from a 2009 into my 2006, for the AUX input, but have been unable to contact SVXdc! I have emailed and PM'ed him here. Is he still around? His web site is up but he seems unresponsive. His wiring harness is the only piece I need to do the swap. SVXdc contact me please!

Just give him time he does a lot for the Subaru community, he will come through don't worry

You were right. I just needed some patience. I was recently contacted by SVXdc and have placed my order. Looking forward to finally doing the swap.

Archived