LegacyGT.com

stoner doesnt remove water spots off the windows

I'm ashamed to say it, but sometimes, I don't get to the windshield until a bit too late during my car-washes, and, yep, I get water-spots.

Strangely enough, Stoner's does get them off for me, but it does take a bit of elbow-grease.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Try Stoners with newspaper.

Well this all came about because i was washing the car in high wind ... soo i got down as fast as i could and moved the car into the garage to finish anything else (windows, exhaust pipes). well i got some newspaper because the stoner suggest you do that everyhwere you look, really. And after 2 applications had alot of luck, i mean most of the UGLY while calcium is gone but you can still see some rings. but i loved the newspaper, OCD will tell me im odd fashion haha, oh well.

I love my car ... basically.

Hard water spots can take a little polishing. Glass cleaner doesn't always work. This is one of the reasons the newspaper polishing thing started. The paper is way more abrasive than a towel and the newsprint acts as a fine polish. It might help, but don't use any glass cleaner with it or else you will just be rubbing a wet newspaper on your windows.

If all else fails then you could try vinegar. Vinegar helps disolve calcium deposits. It works on paint and it works on glass. I'd personally try the vinegar first. Just soak a towel with it and set it on top of the waterspots. That gives it time to work. Warm vinegar works best. This is also how you remove concrete splatters on your car, just in case anyone ever has to deal with that. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 1 year later...

I think you're joking ... but just in case ... Stoner is a brand of window cleaner. And it's pretty much the bee's knees when it comes to washing your windows. It's a great cleaner, and it doesn't contain any ammonia, so it's also safe to use on tinted windows. :)

Available at places like Autozone, Checker, Pepboys, and I think even Wal-Mart.

Thanks Brady...

I have a product from Eagle One...."AMMONIA" free on the bottle....bought it so I could try it on both inside and outside of windows...tint safe it says......

even though my tint guy said NEVER to use ANY product EVER.....

what am I going to do....keep a spray bottle of water and try that?

so far no problems...I only clean inside when needed...every couple months....

no problems

As long as the glass cleaner you are using says 'tint safe' on it, then you can use it on your window tint. The problem is that products like Windex aren't necessarily tint safe. Nearly all glass cleaners that I've seen marketed for automotive use are safe on window tint. That, of course, includes Invisible Glass.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Normally you do not need to use a glass cleaner on your windows. If you clean regularly then the car wash will keep the windows clean. Just buff the windows inside and out with a dry microfiber after each wash. You can clean the windows with a automotive window cleaner monthly or as needed.

I'm not really sure what the rave on stoners is. I bought some at target, sprayed it directly on my large glass table, wiped dry with a old terry and was definitely impressed with how effortless it cleaned compared to windex. I just used it on my car for the first time to clean up some sap on the windows the car wash didn't pick up and found that if you are not directly applying it to the surface it looses the effectiveness of the foaming cleanser. There is not a single product other than quick detailer and carpet cleaner that I apply directly to any surface of the car.

glass cleaner and a new/clean steel wool pad will take hard water sports off of windows. We have really hard water in our area and it you dont get it off asap, you will have some serious spots. after awhile, that is the only way to get them off. works every time and doesnt hurt anything.

I'm going to advise strongly against using steel wool. I have seen some windows badly marred by steel wool. It might be fine on some cars, but it definitely is not on others.

Archived