LegacyGT.com

Top hose blowoff

Ugh, such a love hate relationship with this car. Its like a hot high maintenance girlfriend.

Driving up the mountain access road for a trip, a overtook a car in 2nd, steam everywhere.

The top hose of the rad is off, on closer inspection it seems as though about 1cm of the plastic tubing from the rad has snapped off, my theory is the mechy at the stealership over-tightened it when doing my WP last month.

I managed to move the worm clip forward on the hose and use the remaining 1-2cm of plastic left to get home.

My questions

1. How much pressure does that top hose come under? I know at idle it is pretty soft.

2. I had to fill up with some orange coolant to get home, it appartently meets the subaru specs but I shouldnt leave it in too long right?

3. Price on OEM rads? How big of a job is it? My tools and workshop are in Maine, I have a small toolbox with the essentials.

Thanks

Matt

Radiator is easy to R&R.

The OEM hose clamps can be a PITA. I cut them off and use screw type clamps on my new hoses.

The OEM radiators have been known to break at the place yours did.

It could be from over tightening or someone being rough trying to remove the hose. Good Luck proving that.

Most guy's use a after maket radiator that's Al not plastic.

Use Peak Global 50/50 premix as a replacement coolant. I used that to top off my system when I did hte new short block last year. I filled the system with the left over Prestone and Peak I had from the timing belt years ago and topped it off with the Global.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Radiator is easy to R&R.

The OEM hose clamps can be a PITA. I cut them off and use screw type clamps on my new hoses.

The OEM radiators have been known to break at the place yours did.

It could be from over tightening or someone being rough trying to remove the hose. Good Luck proving that.

Most guy's use a after maket radiator that's Al not plastic.

Use Peak Global 50/50 premix as a replacement coolant. I used that to top off my system when I did hte new short block last year. I filled the system with the left over Prestone and Peak I had from the timing belt years ago and topped it off with the Global.

Ya im not going to bother, might aswell just get the work done myself. Any reccomendations for an aftermarket rad? OEM quoted at 370!

It's all on here.

I would contact "m sprank" (PM) (west coast) or Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com (east coast)and have them drop ship one to you.

here's m spranks site.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-535/Mishimoto-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Check the model year on that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks as always MC,

That rad looks like my next port of call, fortunately I had enough piping left over on the plastic side to get a good grip and seal with at least .5cm of overhang on the engine side of the worm gear.

I ran the car around town for a while tonight, seemed to hold ok. I have a trip up to Breckenridge tomorrow over the pass, hopefully it will survive the test.

Nice, must be closing weekend up there soon right? You skimming?? I taught up at Killington a few years back, lived on lake Bomoseen with my ex for a couple of years. VT has probably been my favorite place to live in the US, just a shame there's no work up there.

The 21st is closing day this year. Not much base left we'll see if they make it that long.

I may watch the pond skimming but I don't like getting wet. :)

I wouldn't mind living in Summit County, but like you say, not much work up there. I've skied most of the big one's there and had a great time.

Archived