LegacyGT.com

Power cutting off at 4,000 rpm?

My wife normally drives our 06 obxt (stage 1), yesterday she said the battery died in the middle of the day so I took it to work this morning (started ok, battery a bit weak). After it was warmed up I stomped it in 2nd gear and the power shut off like a light at 4,000 rpm, scared the s*&^ out of me. Car drives fine under 4,000 but in any gear it won't accelerate past that mark. The car doesn't die but its like the fuel or spark is shut off completely. I'm not sure if it has to do with the battery being dead or possibly an alternator issue?

The CEL comes on as normal when turning the key and then goes off. I just tested and the cut off is happening even while revving in neutral! Is there some kind of valet/safety mode that could have been triggered by the battery going dead or weak alternator output? I haven't so much as plugged in my AP in 3 yrs so I know I didn't change any maps....

^this. you're limping from the earlier low volts -- car on wg pressure i bet, as well. same thing happened to me on a weak battery. it should clear up on its own rather quickly (assuming the battery isn't hopeless). probably time for a new unit, though.

I'm going to have the battery replaced today, will see if that makes a difference. I just drove it again and it feels exactly as if the rev limiter was moved to 4,000, no check engine lights, no other issues just an abrupt loss of power which feels exactly like when you hit the limiter normally.

I'm going to have the battery replaced today, will see if that makes a difference. I just drove it again and it feels exactly as if the rev limiter was moved to 4,000, no check engine lights, no other issues just an abrupt loss of power which feels exactly like when you hit the limiter normally.

It sounds like it hit some limit in the system - boost spike, etc. - enough for the ECU to put it in limp home mode. But not enough to give a CEL, or at least, not one that is displayed on the instrument cluster. It probably has one stored in the ECU that can be called up.

If that's the case, the limp mode will clear up on it's own after enough restarts, or you could just reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and pumping the brakes 4 times.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

the electronic operated systems (ecu, injectors etc) probably cant keep up with the demands ona dead battery. the higher the RPM goes the more juice theyll need and if their not getting it ityll just cut out to avoid frying anything.

Not what's happening in your case, but a friend had an aftermarket tune and lots of mods on his car... it was set to go to valet mode if the power was cut.... well, he was at the dragstrip and they made him test his power cut switch in tech... he forget it put the car in valet mode... his normal 12 sec car ran something like 24 sec at 50mph, redline at something like 3500rpm.. :)

I was thinking about octane, I haven't done anything different fueling wise, using 92 or 93 octane and its a 91 octane map. Anyone know if its normal for a aftermarket (TDC stage 1 91 octane map) to cut off power at 4k rpm if it doesn't like the octane level?

Maybe your key is busto? I remember the salesman telling me that the difference between the valet key and the regular key was a chip - if the car didn't see the chip it went into valet mode. Perhaps the 'chip' in your ignition key, or the sensor itself is having issues?

The symptoms are that of limp mode. Does your radiator fan run continuously when the key is in the "on" position? Are you getting an ER SS message on the info display? Is the ABS light on? Is the cruise light flashing?

Car will not rev beyond 4000rpm when in limp mode.

No error messages at all on dash, no flashing lights, radiator fan not coming on. I didn't know there was a chip in the key but we are using the same one we always do, I'll try the spare key to see if that makes a difference. Appreciate all the help - frustrating!

Archived