LegacyGT.com

HELP with 01 OB problem

I'm trying to replace the water pump and thermostat on my 01 4 cyl Outback and have reached an impass. I have all the bolts removed from the plastic timing belt cover removed and it's loose but first I need to remove the large pulley (crankshaft I think) in the center. I used a mirror and see that there is a large bolt inside. First I need to know what size socket I need for this bolt. Second, How do you keep the pulley from turning while trying to break the bolt loose. Third, Once the bolt is out does the pulley just come off or do I need a special puller to remove it.

I'm assuming that once the pulley and plastic housing are removed I can then get the pump and thermostat off or is there some other problem I'll run into?

To sum it up what size socket do I need for tjhe large center pulley? And how do I hold the pulley tight while breaking the bolt loose and does the pulley then just come off?

I'd appreciate any answers I can get as soon as possible as the car is torn down in my driveway and I need to get it fixed and running.

Thanks in advance Rich jcmsp062@aol.com

I am not sure of the bolt size, but Subaru makes a special tool that locks the crank pulley in place so you can loosen the crank bolt on the key way. You also need to do this when you tighten it also other wise the bolt will not be tight and you can ruin the motor when the bolt backs out.

Here is a page that shows the tools needed. On page 22, the picture of the various wrenches to the right, show the different type of wrenches these cars need.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/SubaruSpecailtools.pdf

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Works for me. Did you wait for it to fully load?
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

the bolt is 22mm. if you have an auto, there should be an access hole on the top pass.side of the car. where the engine mates to the tranny. there is a plastic cover that covers it. It may be partially hidden by some hoses.It exposes the flywheel and you can use a large screwdriver to hold it in place. its a pita to get back in securely, but needle nose lockgrips worked for me.

You will need a breaker bar of some sort. Some have put the car on stands and used a jack under the bar, others(myself included) have lodged the bar securely against some wood on the frame and cranked the engine. Note: you don't want it to start, just turn over.

Once the bolt is removed, the pulley will wiggle off. it is keyed so it can only go on one way. torque is 130ft-lbs for retightening!

Have fun.

O.

Archived