LegacyGT.com

Thule ski box, hits wing.

Max Capacity

Just got all the pieces to put my 6 y/o Thule Summit ski box on my 05GT Wagon. As I figured the wing hit's the box. It looks like I will have to also buy the Sedan mount kit from Thule and use half the mount kit over the front doors and use half of the rail kit over the rear doors so I can slide the box forward enough so I can open the rear hatch and the wing will not hit the box. I had to do this on my 98GT Wagon. My 00GT Wagon didn't have the wing option so it was fine. Why can't Subaru figure this out and make the rails go further forward on the roof. Audi and Volvo seem to have it figured out. I called them and told them of this problem back in 98. Just goes to show you how much they listen to the owners. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[size=1]I had '97 and '00 wagons and experienced the same problem. Used stand alone "feet" on the '97 and removed the wing on the '00. I was using a Yakima Space Case. I replaced that box with a Thule Evolution 1200 (pretty compact -good thing skis keep getting shorter) which I had on my WRX wagon. I have not tried it yet, but it seems the mounting positions of the Thule will allow it to be placed far enough forward to clear the wing. If it does not clear, I'll probably try to modify mounting position. I want avoid the direct mounting as I always had marring of the paint where "feet" pads contacted the roof. [/size]

Another thought is to buy some Aluminum channel and redrill the box, move it forward and attach the channel to the box to stiffen it. My box tends to travel pretty fast sometimes. So I might bite the bullet and get the Sedan mounts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

But think of what happens when you move the box forward. Think about all the air that wants to left the bottom of the box off the car. I just called my local shop to see if they can get the Sedan mount kit. Yes, some of the new box's are different lenghts but I don't want to go to short. I have a to put SG and DH skis in there sometimes.

I redrilled the holes on mine for my outback long ago and it worked great . I left about 1" to back of wing. I did not reinforce it with anything and never had any problems. I put 4 pairs skis and 2 snowboards in it with no problems . However, I dont load the front with anything heavy . I will post a pic of it on my Gt wagon if you want . Jim

If you could post a photo that would be great. But like I said earlier I have allready drilled the box and move it forward about 6 inches. GT skis, mine are 177cm and 170cm. I have a friends daughter that I sometimes stuffle around. She goes to one of the Ski Acedemy's as is being trained for SG and DH.

Yes, I have mine already. Long story, but I have been in contact with Thule Sweden. I had Competitive Edge in East Longmeadow Ma order the Thule rack for me. I'm sure any good ski shop can get the rack. GT ski, Don't worry I ski every weekend and have more skis then I need sometimes. Both my son and I work in VT on the weekends. I've come from 203's back in 1996 to 170cm as my everyday skis. Thanks for caring, Don't worry, we're gear freaks.

Well, until recently I used old skool 207s, but the wagon (BG5) was never a problem. I was looking at a box, but is was never going to fit, so that was out... Subaru had a box, but it was BIG bux, so gave up on that idea entirely and stuck with racks. However, my sedan (BE5) had issues with them on the roof - the top of the wing was getting a hammering ;) So now I use shorter skis and have no issues, but I carry them inside to help fuel economy now :) FWIW, I've seen peeps with modded boxes, they seem to be OK. Only ever seen one on an expressway, well the remains ;) But it had come off a Toyota... Cheers :)

I still see plenty 200+ cm skis on the hill where I teach, some people just don't want to let 'em go. My '96 OB did not have a spoiler so I had no problems, but the GT might pose a problem with the Thule box I was looking at. Oh hey Max, does the Thule rack lock by any chance? I know the Yakima rack does not.

You can buy the locks for it or use your old locks, just punch out the plastic plugs. As for ski lenght, most skiers in VT or up to date. Shorter is better. In some cases.

• 4 months later...
[quote name='GT Ski']Actualy, now that I think about it some of the newer Thule Ski boxes do have adjustments to move the box mount points fore and aft.[/QUOTE] I'm sorry, but I cringe every time I see skis out in the open. Salt + skis = lots and lots of oxydation. Maybe it's because I'm a racer and an engineer, but I just couldn't do that to skis. A new set of race skis (or a freshly stoneground pair) needs 60 layers of wax to reach its potential (Finish study). Back when I was racing full-time that was a lot of waxing for 5 or 6 new pairs of skis each year. I have an Evolution 1200 box on my OBXT, and it's great. A recent experiment even suggested that it doesn't affect my freeway mileage (300 miles, flat freeway, 75-80mph, 20.1-20.3mpg with or without box). There is the rear-wing issue, but I can still open the back enough to get everything in and out. Between the box in the winter and kayaks in the summer, I may never see the hatch wide open.

• 9 months later...
How high does the hatch go up on the wagon with the box? Is it still possible to access the trunk? How about using a tether to the top of the strut to the bottom of the strut so that the hatch wont go up all the way (if the trunk is accessible). Thats what I did on my WRX Wagon, I could still get in the trunk, it just stopped the spoiler short of hitting my snowboards on the roof.

Archived