LegacyGT.com

Car wash stations?

Would any LGT owners take there car to a car wash place to wash your car? I am way to busy this week and don't have time to wash my own car. What kind of place should I take it to? Places where they use 100% cloth or a hand wash place?

I hope I posted this in the right place.

Well... there is a detailing forum now. ;)

I would never have anyone wash my car. This paint is far to fragile to let someone else wash it that doesn't have to drive it every day. I really couldn't recommend anywhere to take it too because I don't believe any of those quick lunch hour washes are going to treat your car right. If you are concerned enough about car care to worry that a car wash is going to treat it right, then your best bet is to wait till you have the time unless you can hire a mobile detailer who is reputable to come out and do it for you.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Last fall I took my car to Octopus car wash a few times.. After noticing some swirl marks, I'm only going to wash the car myself or a completely touchless wash. A good polish and wax this spring will take care of the minor blemishes. Live and learn I guess..

I used to take my old car to a reputable car wash/detail shop, until I started to notice my forged black lug nuts oxidizing and turning an ugly piss yellow colour. It took a couple of months of them getting progressively worse until I figured out it was the detail shop spraying corrosive wheel cleaner on my rims every time I took the to them. To top it off when I went back to tell them the issue and suggest using a wash mitt on my wheels, they looked at me like I was crazy.

an expensive lesson to learn and now I am the only one to wash my car- strictly with car soap and a proper wash mitt, just as I always have since I was young.

Don't trust for a second that a detail shop will know to take proper care of certain things on your beloved car.

If I need to get the car washed and can't do it myself I usually go to one of the laserwashes and at least don't have to worry about anything touching the car.

+1

If you go to the old fashion car places where the brushes are touching your car, you are usually asking for trouble. Touch free is the only way to go.

Also be careful with the do it yourself places which have the foaming brushes as well. Had a friend who used one and there happened to be some rocks wedged into the brush, he scratched the whole hood of his truck up before he heard/realized it...

How about the laser guided car washes at places like esson/mobil? I usually wash my car myself, but occassionally (in the winter) I'll take it there to do. nothing touches the car other than water, soap and wax.

ocdetails, any concerns/input there?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

yeah, it's funny I've had the same experience. I really think it depends on when they have been serviced. I've had some pretty crappy washes from the one by my work, and other times it's been great.

What I do have by my home is one of those do it yourself car washes. BUT I only use the spray wand. I never pick up the brush to wash off the car. it seems soft, but you don't know what's in that thing (rocks, dirt, etc)

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've never been in one of those, so I really couldn't say. I guess if nothing is touching the car except for water then it is safer than the alternative. Just watch out for high pressure on the Subaru. With how fragile this paint is I would be a little worried about hitting it with 1600 PSI of water.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I was using the laser wash things all winter long with no problems....I'm not worried by those. As long as nothing other than a spray is touching the car you will be fine.

They aren't the greatest though, i second the fact that the car was still dirty after sometimes, but with so much salt and sand, anything is better. I don't expect the car to be spotless in the winter time anyway, its not really possible in New England.

Agree, there's a touchless wash place next to the Mobil oil quickchange place and it does a decent enough job when it's too cold to wash it myself.. As a bonus, it's got an underbody sprayer that comes on when you drive in.. Nice to get all the salt and dirt off the bottom.

How about the laser guided car washes at places like esson/mobil? I usually wash my car myself, but occassionally (in the winter) I'll take it there to do. nothing touches the car other than water, soap and wax.

ocdetails, any concerns/input there?

I have come to think these are the best if you can't do it yourself. I also think that some are better than others. I had been bringing the suby to a towl dry place over the winter, and every time I got home would have to go over the car again with spray detailer and microfiber to get the water marks and what was always a bunch of missed spots.. then one time I went and the put my car through with a jeep riding my bumper!! It put a fine scratch on the rear bumper, which really pissed me off. So, moral of story is I'm never going to one of those places again. I've been going to a good laser wash getting the works for $8, then going home and going over the car with a detailer mist and doing the tires. It looks great every time, and I think its alot safer than any car wash where someone has to get into your car (they are always so damn short too, my seat is always all the way up when I get back in!) and you have a bunch of brushes scrubbing the car with dirty recycled water.

the new laser touchless washes are better. I've always used one near work, until a brand new gas station popped up near home. Their touchless wash is exponentially better than the one near work. Funny thing is, I have never washed my LGT by hand, as the weather has been crappy pretty much since I've owned it (just starting to warm up though :) )

Archived