LegacyGT.com

Transmission Question 2.2 95 AWD manual

New to the forums and just picked up an old beaten down '95 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon (2.2). I had a couple quick questions to run by you guys.

1. My manual transmission has been making an almost grinding noise when releasing the clutch, only when engaging a gear. For example, I'll shift from first to second gear, and right when the clutch hits that sweet spot where it makes contact, it'll grind a bit.This is in every gear, just about. Also, if I accelerate/let off the gas, the transmission will make a grinding noise of sorts as well. I was curious if this could be an input shaft bearing as I've read around the internet, or something else?

2. Worst case scenario, I buy a new transmission. Do later model year transmissions with the 2.2 bolt on to the engine? Or are they completely different? If so, can anyone ballpark the price of a new/used transmission?

I looked around the forums but wasn't sure if the '95 is compatible with the years that followed. First post so take it easy on me ._.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses guys. I checked the fluid the other day and it seems a bit low. This may be the culprit but I'm going to replace one of the CV axles and while I'm in there check the seals. I have a hunch that the fluid is leaking where the axle attaches, so I'll keep you guys posted if I fix anything. Don't have money to buy another transmission/remove this one so I'll probably drive it into the ground, and hope it lasts until college is over >:D

Archived