LegacyGT.com

So, where do we put the fuel filler cap when refueling?

Let's see if I can explain this...there is a very small notch in the top of filler door locking tab. It is at the base of the locking tab, where the locking tab meets the filler door. I put the fuel cap retaining strap into that notch so the cap hangs away from the car.

I leave it hanging out while driving so it scratches my paint in a nice arc whose radius is determined by the length of the tether. Not that I would suggest anyone else do this. My wife's minivan has a nice bracket built into the fuel filler door that holds the cap in place while refueling. Nice touch.

Huh? I don't get it. My old 2.5RS has this fuel cap holder on the inside of the fuel door. I secure the cap on it each time I put gas into the car. I'm befuddled why did Subaru not include this bracket. Not only does it keep the dust from getting onto the fuel cap, it also prevents any water or blowing snow (for those of us who experience winter) get onto the cap.

I bought one of the first delivered Lexus RX300s and it did not even have a teather for gas cap. What a pain. People are always talking about all the little quality features that Suby missed on the new Legacy, but other high end car makers mis all sorts of things on first year cars.

[quote name='bebopper']Let's see if I can explain this...there is a very small notch in the top of filler door locking tab. It is at the base of the locking tab, where the locking tab meets the filler door. I put the fuel cap retaining strap into that notch so the cap hangs away from the car.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the replies. I see I am not the only one wondering why there is no specific place to rest the filler cap. I am going to try bebopper's suggestion above and see how I like it.

That's funny. I was wondering the same thing. A bit of an oversight. It's a little thing; but still annoys me. I just rest it on top of the pump nozzle. Would be nice if there was a place to hook it on the filler door.
Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

I'm not sure why they couldn't have added the little screw-in ledge on the fuel filler door like they have on our Forester. The cap drops right in and stays there until you're ready to recap the tank. Use the tether over the tab otherwise SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

could the cap retainer from a forester, etc. be added to the fuel door some way? Just curious. Or if you go to the auto parts store, they have the caps that have the spring loaded circular "trap-door" that you push the fuel nozzle "through" the cap. I am not sure if there are any problems with that cap holding vacuum for the emissions controls, but it might be worth a try if you don't want your cap dangling, scratching paint, and getting dirt into your tank.

• 5 years later...

No cap? See if you can retrofit the Ford Capless Fuel System on your car! You could start a trend; I have a feeling this could be the next big thing in ricer mods! Just imagine how much fast3r your car would be without all the weight of the fuel cap!

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009/04/fords-capless-fuel-fillers-save-aggravation.html

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived