LegacyGT.com

Deep thinking again on a 3.0r

Ok so i have a 08 3.0r (5at), anybody notice that the steering wheel shifter are mounted to the colume as opposed to the wheel like in the new 2011-12 legacy, does anyone know if you can retro fit the new steering wheel and shifter controls on the old colume, i feel like it would increase the drivibility if i where able to shift while steering, instead of taking my hand off the wheel to reach around to do so, just some deep thinking on possibly improving a already awesome car thanks in advance

Ok so i have a 08 3.0r (5at), anybody notice that the steering wheel shifter are mounted to the colume as opposed to the wheel like in the new 2011-12 legacy, does anyone know if you can retro fit the new steering wheel and shifter controls on the old colume, i feel like it would increase the drivibility if i where able to shift while steering, instead of taking my hand off the wheel to reach around to do so, just some deep thinking on possibly improving a already awesome car thanks in advance

you take your hand off the wheel to shift the paddles? they're designed for a 2 finger approach.

1. the reason the paddles are so tall are so you can turn the wheel all the way around and still reach a finger to pull the paddle, so you dont take your hands off the wheel

2. the paddles are close enough to the steering wheel to reach with fingers, unless you were involved in the mafia and had them chopped off with cigar cutters

3. pretty sure the steering wheel is of a different fitment all together

you take your hand off the wheel to shift the paddles? they're designed for a 2 finger approach.

1. the reason the paddles are so tall are so you can turn the wheel all the way around and still reach a finger to pull the paddle, so you dont take your hands off the wheel

2. the paddles are close enough to the steering wheel to reach with fingers, unless you were involved in the mafia and had them chopped off with cigar cutters

3. pretty sure the steering wheel is of a different fitment all together

with all do respect your wrong, please not trying to argue cause I'm an adult but obviously someone at Subaru decided it was eurgonimically wrong that's why it was updated on the newer model, also most older cars also have them on the wheel instead of column, it works the way it is your right but it would still be nice and more convenient to have it otherwise, of course with buying a new 3.6

I'm wrong? Alright dude. This is the first complaint about 08-09 paddle issues I've ever heard on this forum. You seem to be the only one unable to operate your paddle shifters correctly :rolleyes: thats why there's no writeup or information regarding a swap.

It all boils down to bad "eurgonomics" I suppose.

whats the subby scence in kansas city, i'm coming out first week in april to visit, are there any meets to attend or parking lot gatherings.... i'm from a crack in the wall called osage city, but will be staing kc for two days.... let me know what goes on out there and where i can hook up with fellow people at

That is the proper way to mount paddles.... On the column and not the wheel like they did for 5th gens. The reason being is that the paddles never change when you're turning the wheel. When paddles are mounted on the wheel, the paddle position constantly changes.

I wish my paddles were column mounted.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

That is the proper way to mount paddles.... On the column and not the wheel like they did for 5th gens. The reason being is that the paddles never change when you're turning the wheel. When paddles are mounted on the wheel, the paddle position constantly changes.

I wish my paddles were column mounted.

I guess f1 cars are doing it wrong

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tvbtuz2IL8]Top Gear's Stig - F1 cockpit cam with Renault F1 - YouTube[/ame]

^^I've never actually watched F1 racing.... good vid.... but not once did the Stig have to make a hand over hand turn (his hands never left their original position). Whereas in daily driving, we do it all the time constantly repositioning our hands on the wheel.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

in video it looks to me like his left hand moves to the 12 o'clock position and he shifts while its in that position which leads me to beleive they are on the wheel in f1, but its a bad example simply do to the size and shape of the wheel,

and if you break and downshift going into a large sweeper then you would obv need to upshift while accelling through turn and if your in a large sweeper odds are you hand position are not in the 'normal' location, i think this is gonna end just being a matter of preference...

i feel like it would increase the drivibility if i where able to shift while steering, instead of taking my hand off the wheel to reach around to do so,

I've put 40K miles on my 08 5EAT GT, I have yet to ever remove my hands from the wheel to work the paddles? :confused:

On a F1 car, the rotation of the wheel is limited to only a few degrees, that's why the paddles work well on the wheel for that application.

Cheers,

Paul

Archived