LegacyGT.com

Wrecked my Legacy

This happened after work an hour ago. I don't feel like going into details yet, but I'll just say that I believe the side airbags saved me from a broken neck.

The driver in the other car wasn't hurt, and drove his truck home. Do you guys think its totaled?

IMG_0232.thumb.jpg.345ebd80a6a9084d80c91d9f32781d68.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
damn dude, glad your ok, thats pretty gnarly. did you punch that guy in the face? probably texting and driving. but to appease the vultures, part out, make some cash and buy another one! keep us updated on the status of your situation.

Thanks guys, other than a sore neck I feel just fine. The car has 93k on it, and f it is totaled I will definitely buy it back from the insurance co.

That's all that counts Rick. The car can be replaced. :)

Considering that the damage reached passenger compartment - you would need to change everything behind the B-pillar to make a car of that again. So unless you plan to get a car with a damaged front end and do a Frankenstein you need to get a new one.

And as long as you are in good health you should be happy, but do get a thorough medical check - a twisted neck isn't something you play with.

Anyway - just make sure that everything checks out with insurance and so on before so you don't stand there in an impossible situation.

453747.png

I don't plan on buying it back to try to salvage, but to part out. I'll know something by Tuesday if they are going to total the car or not.

I would like to find a non-running Legacy with a blown engine and perform a swap. Until then I'll drive the wife's BMW 330ci convertible, that makes me feel like a Douche when I drive it.

damn dude, glad your ok, thats pretty gnarly. did you punch that guy in the face? probably texting and driving. but to appease the vultures, part out, make some cash and buy another one! keep us updated on the status of your situation.

To tell you the truth we were both just happy that neither of us were hurt.

Also because the cop on the scene says that I'm at fault. (After talking to a witness today I'm not sure I am though).

My goal was to cross the two Southbound lanes of St. Rd. 52 and turn left to head North (52 is a four lane highway). There are no lights at that intersection, and it is heavily congested around 3pm when it happened.

There was a large Dumptruck that was taking a Right onto Calloway (the street I was on). I didn't see anyone else behind or next to the truck so I drove across the two Southbound lanes. When I pulled into the Median between the North and Southbound lanes and slowly was coming to a stop the other drivers truck hit me.

This caused my car to spin a 180 facing the direction I had just came from.

When I talked to the other driver I told him that I never saw him coming and that I never heard him brake. He told me that he didn't have time to brake. The officer at the scene told me that it appeared that I was at fault. At that time I told him I wasn't admitting to anything.

I talked to two people I work with today that witnessed the accident they told me that I was mostly in median and that the other guy wasn't paying attention and hit me. Which explains why he didn't brake. But when I asked them if my ass was hanging out in his lane they said that it was a little.

So am I at fault? Probably

Could he have avoided me if he would have been paying attention to the road and not his cell? Maybe.

• I Donated

That'll buff out. Surprised nobody said it yet.

In all seriousness, that sucks. Hopefully the insurance company gives you a good settlement. The cop said you were at fault, but did he ticket you for anything?

It seems that right turning vehicle blocked the traffic for both people involved in the collision. I wonder what the traffic laws dictate in your state/if there is a reduction in fault in this instance KartBoyRacer? The reality is that these intersections are incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately, if he had to brake to avoid you, and you were in his lane...:redface:

Anyhow, who cares if it was your fault or not, I am sorry for you loss and I hope you had good ins and that you are going to be cashed out enough to get another LGT. I hope the other driver does not find himself an ambulance chaser and most of all I hope you continue to feel healthy and are indeed have suffered no internal injuries!

I was an adjuster for Progressive for a few years and I feel like my 2 cents may help here.

Based on what you are describing, which understandably isn't 100% clear, I believe the median you are describing is a dedicated left turn lane at a non-lighted intersection. That, or a lane where traffic from both opposing lanes can use to turn across traffic.

So it sounds like you cut across a couple lanes fairly quickly in order to make your turn and your car wasn't completely parallel to the lane you were in. Which would leave your left rear sticking out to the traffic behind you.

The rule is that if you have established yourself completely in a lane and are hit from behind, the person behind you is at fault. There are some instances where this may not apply, but this doesn't seem like one of those times.

Since it sounds like you were not 100% within your lane when you stopped, you would be at fault.

If the other driver was not paying attention, and admits it, there is a chance he could be found partially at fault. That means different things in different states. I don't know Indiana's liability law, so I can't help with that.

If he doesn't admit he wasn't paying attention, and he was traveling at the same rate as the other traffic in his lane or the assumed safe speed for the conditions, then it will be your insurance who handles all the damages.

Your car is very likely a total loss, and I would want it to be if it were mine. Do some research on what your car is worth. If you plan to take anything off of it, you have to replace it with a functioning part. So if you take out the radio, for example, you need to put another one in and have it working.

I hope this helps, good luck and glad to know you're ok.

Archived