LegacyGT.com

Annoying shudder when taking off in first

Rick

Hello guys, I have an issue with a shuddering that occurs when taking off from a stop in first gear. It happens as soon as the car warms up, and is making for a very annoying daily driver. I've been using an ACT HD street clutch and lightened flywheel with about 6k miles on it, which has always had your typical clutch chatter.

I've already bled the clutch master and slave cylinder, and it didn't help.

Any thoughts on this?

• Mega Users
Sounds like a wobbly clutch disk. Did you replace the TOB when doing the clutch? Did you resurface the shaft that the TOB rides on? I doubt it is a hydrolic problem. It could also be a warped clutch disk. Did you break in the clutch properly? I don't have any experience with ACT clutches, but with many materials, if it is overheated before broken in, they will glaze or warp.

Sounds like a wobbly clutch disk. Did you replace the TOB when doing the clutch? Did you resurface the shaft that the TOB rides on? I doubt it is a hydrolic problem. It could also be a warped clutch disk. Did you break in the clutch properly? I don't have any experience with ACT clutches, but with many materials, if it is overheated before broken in, they will glaze or warp.

I didn't replace the TOB when I did the clutch, nor did I resurface the shaft, but I'm positive I broke it in correctly. I'm thinking about replacing the TOB and swapping to a wrx flywheel like BLKGT5 mentioned. I don't think I can stand the way the clutch chatters with the current setup much longer. Thanks guys!

• Mega Users
The flywheel usually wouldn't actually cause the problem unless it is warped or not machined properly, but if it is excessively light, it will magnify the problem. You should ALWAYS change out the TOB and shaft when doing a clutch. If the TOB breaks, you have to open everything up again for a very cheap part. The shaft, if scored by the TOB will make it spin rough and cause the bearings to fail faster.

The flywheel usually wouldn't actually cause the problem unless it is warped or not machined properly, but if it is excessively light, it will magnify the problem. You should ALWAYS change out the TOB and shaft when doing a clutch. If the TOB breaks, you have to open everything up again for a very cheap part. The shaft, if scored by the TOB will make it spin rough and cause the bearings to fail faster.

For some reason I couldn't remember if I replaced the old TOB or not, but I found my reciept from Fred Beans and the old TOB is still in the box the clutch came in, so aparently I changed it.

Archived