LegacyGT.com

Slightly overfilled 5MT trans oil. A bad bad thing?

ScoopMan

So it was shifting poorly, so I checked the level and the stick was dry. I added 75W90 about a cup at a time, and checked the level each time. Or so I thought.... Hard to read the stick when the oil is so clean. Ended up putting in about 3 cups, or about 3/4 quart. Then I checked it, and level is about 1/4" above the top 'F' hole. :mad:

How bad is this? Should I pull out some oil or not worry about it?

Nothing to worry about... Can you imagine how many cars would be damaged a time after leaving their quick service maintenance garages if it was a problem?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...
Rao - Just curious: Have you ever seen a VERY small leak from the vent? I've never seen it in my far fewer experiences, and haven't heard of it on here either. I just understand that the vent is there and that an overfill could potentially pour out of it.

I'll paraphrase what I've read elsewhere. As the gears are more submerged, more energy is lost in churning the gears through the lube. This results in a bit of lost power, but mainly it generates extra heat in the oil. Which then lessens it's effectiveness as a lubricant that was designed to operate at an ideal temp.

Hence, there's an ideal level where energy is kept in the gears (instead of transferred into the oil) while also maximizing lubrication.

Archived