LegacyGT.com

'05-'09 Legacy / Outback - brake line corrosion recall

Report Receipt Date: MAR 27, 2013

NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V110000

Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number of Units Affected: 0

All Products Associated with this Recall http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/images/orange-up.png

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)

• SUBARULEGACY2005-2009
  • SUBARUOUTBACK2005-2009

Manufacturer: Subaru of America, Inc.

SUMMARY:

Subaru is recalling certain model year 2005-2009 Outback and Legacy vehicles manufactured from December 2003, through April 2009 and currently, or formerly, registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Salt water could splash on the brake lines through a gap in the fuel tank protector, resulting in excessive corrosion of the brake lines. CONSEQUENCE:

Brake line corrosion may result in brake fluid leakage. Fluid leakage may result in longer distances being required to slow or stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles. If no brake fluid seepage is observed, the affected area will be rustproofed with anti-corrosion wax. If brake fluid seepage is observed, the brake lines will be replaced followed by rustproofing with anti-corrosion wax. These services will be performed free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783. Subaru's recall campaign number is WQG-43. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Request Research

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/images/question-mark.png

NameDescriptionSize(KB) RCAK-13V110-8062.PDFRecall Acknowledgement113RCDNN-13V110-2693.pdfDefect Notice(Part 573)168

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice however a bit of this recall concerns me as it should anyone: "If no brake fluid seepage is observed, the affected area will be rustproofed with anti-corrosion wax. If brake fluid seepage is observed, the brake lines will be replaced followed by rustproofing with anti-corrosion wax". If the lines are rusting but no seepage is found they are just gonna anti corrosion wax the lines? In what world is that a proper fix once corrosion has occured the lines have already been comprimised, ie the wall thickness has been reduced. If this problem has warranted a recall any rusted brake line in the mentioned area should be replaced regardless of seepage!

Thank you. Now if only they'd do the fuel lines too.

Note the affected locations. Due to the fact that Nevada doesn't see snow, you're not covered. Plus, the fuel line issue was not a widespread issue- at least, your fuel line issue wasn't.

Note the affected locations. Due to the fact that Nevada doesn't see snow, you're not covered. Plus, the fuel line issue was not a widespread issue- at least, your fuel line issue wasn't.

It's odd because we see snow. I run snow tires and drive in the mountains with feet of snow every year.

This is effed. :(

It's odd because we see snow. I run snow tires and drive in the mountains with feet of snow every year.

This is effed. :(

California and Nevada use sand on the roads not salt. Sand is much much much less corrosive than salt, you have nothing to worry about.

I believe it is a beet juice solution in Illinois (the stripes on the road typically before a storm 8-12 inches apart).
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Now why doesn't this affect Canadian provinces where we use salt, and those cars were sold?

School me a little on how recalls work. Ive never owned a car new enough to access recall information, or one that I really cared about.

Im the second owner of my GT. Would I still be eligible for the recall? It says Subaru will notify owners. So Im guessing the previous owner would probably get the notice. He's a good friend so I expect he'd pass it on to me. But I wasnt sure if they would honor it for a second owner.

I kind of think it follows the car now ownership though.

Im also concerned about just blasting the lines with wax coating if they are rusty. That seems like a pretty sketchy solution. Maybe spritzing some brake fluid on the line before taking it in is a good call. Hehe... (kidding)

J.

If you google MySubaru, you can register your vehicle, and get recall notifications sent to your email address. I signed up a few weeks ago when I bought the car, and haven't received an email yet. There's also nothing posted in the MySubaru recall section.

Since I just bought the car, and it recently passed MD state inspection (from a reputable shop) I'm not too worried, but will definitely be bringing it in.

Now why doesn't this affect Canadian provinces where we use salt, and those cars were sold?

The recall is as well part of Subaru Canada

Canadian Road Safety recall link

The links provided are just US because well, they are all American members

If you want Canadian links -- Googled Canada+Recall+Legacy

Pictures of my rides;

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr old whip[/url]

Current Wagon

The recall is as well part of Subaru Canada

Canadian Road Safety recall link

The links provided are just US because well, they are all American members

If you want Canadian links -- Googled Canada+Recall+Legacy

Thank you very VERY much for this.

Goto bring the car into the shop for the 144K check-up, i'll harass them for this at the same time :)

• 1 month later...
Dear Subaru Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2005 - 2009 model year Subaru Legacy and Outback vehicles currently or formerly registered in at least one of the following states:

Connecticut Maine New Hampshire Vermont Delaware Maryland New Jersey West Virginia District of Columbia Massachusetts New York Wisconsin Illinois Michigan Ohio Indiana Minnesota Pennsylvania Iowa Missouri Rhode Island

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY DEFECT

Subaru has determined that your vehicle may have been manufactured with brake lines that could, over time, corrode in the area of the four-way joint connector if exposed to salt.

Depending on driving conditions, salt water could splash on the brake lines in the area of the four-way joint connector resulting in corrosion of the lines. Excessive corrosion could eventually cause perforation of a brake line(s) resulting in a brake fluid leak.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY HAZARD

Your vehicle has a dual circuit braking system. Each circuit works independently and diagonally across the vehicle. If one circuit of the brake system fails, the other half of the system still works. Should a brake line corrode to the point of developing a perforation, brake fluid will leak from the line(s) causing the related circuit to eventually lose effectiveness. In this situation, there would be an increase in the amount of brake pedal travel distance and foot pressure required to slow or stop the vehicle. This might cause the driver to misjudge the amount of brake pedal travel required to achieve the desired stopping distance, increasing the risk of a crash.

INSPECTION / REPAIR

Subaru will inspect and test the current condition of your vehicle's brake lines. If they are found to be acceptable, anti--rust material will be applied to the areas of concern as a preventative measure. If any of the lines are found to be unacceptable, they will be replaced and anti-rust material will be applied to the uncoated brake line areas. These repairs will be performed at no cost to you.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

You should immediately contact your Subaru Dealer for an appointment to have the brake lines inspected and repaired as indicated in the "Inspection / Repair" section of this notice. There are several important precautions you should take until this repair has been performed:

• If you experience the condition described above while braking, continue to apply steady pressure on the brake pedal until the vehicle comes to a stop. Immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.
  • If you notice fluid leaking from the vehicle, do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.
  • If the brake system warning light remains illuminated on the instrument panel with the parking brake fully released, do not operate the vehicle. Immediately contact your Subaru dealer for assistance.
  • Always maintain a safe distance from other vehicles while driving. The normally recommended minimum distance is one car length of space for every 10 mph of speed.
  • As a precautionary measure, it is highly recommended that you use extra care while operating the vehicle in confined areas such as parking lots and while parking your vehicle in a garage, car port or other structure.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?

The time to inspect the brake lines and apply anti-rust material is approximately 18 minutes. If it is determined that the brake lines require replacement, the total estimated repair time is 7 hours. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling.

IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR A REPAIR

If you have already paid for repairs associated with this condition, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement consideration will be based on the amount an authorized Subaru dealer in your area would charge for the same repair.

Please send the original service repair order, which has the name of the repair facility, date of repair, mileage at the time of repair, complete vehicle identification number (17 digits), and your name, with correct mailing address and telephone number to the address listed below.

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Services Department

Attention: WQG-43 Recall

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Please send original receipts only and retain a photocopy for your records. Please be assured that we will attempt to process your reimbursement request as quickly as possible, but it may take up to 60 days for this process to be completed.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE:

To locate the nearest Subaru Dealer you can access our website at www.subaru.com or click the following link: Find a Dealer, input your zip code, and be instantly provided with your local Subaru Dealer's contact information.

For additional information and the most Frequently Asked Questions, please go to:

http://www.wqg43.service-campaign.com.

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:

• E-mail: Go to www.subaru.com and select “Contact Us”.
  • Telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
    Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET
    Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET
    Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET
  • U.S. Postal mail: Write us at Subaru of America, Inc., Attn: CDS Department, P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000.

Please contact us immediately if the dealer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov if you believe the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.

Just got my letter in the mail today.. has anyone brought it to a shop? I am debating when/where to do this? Have heard only bad experiences from metrowest subaru near me.. it says "18" minutes to inspect.. I really don't want to be sitting in their waiting room forever.

I took a look at mine tonight, it's pretty easy to inspect. Here are some pictures of mine after 130k and 4 winters living in various new england states. I've also included a few pictures of where to look if you want to inspect yours. You want to look near your rear passenger side wheel, and you can pull down the door outlined in red, or you can look up through the hole also outlined in the red. It was hard to photograph this while shining a light upwards and holding the plastic door out of the way, so don't mind the line right in front of the last picture.

1.thumb.jpg.8cc2d009952acc36fe3ce6ab59d27a5b.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.307a1a4ed6402940dd06bb07b2835f6c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b2bf17192d2092a44179fc510cd50b58.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.396a7b7851c8174452ee343a4d8b49db.jpg

I should have mentioned I have not taken my car in yet, I have never touched that area before. I'm curious to see what subaru considers excessive corrosion. I feel like they'll probably just put the anti-corrosion wax on my joint connector and line ends, but we'll see.

Archived