LegacyGT.com

Help with Hogzaust

Hey guys,

I have fallen in love with the sound of the hogzaust and am dying to make my car sound like that.

one problem, the exhaust bolts wont budge cause of rust and as of this moment after 2 days of war, rust is winning.

have tried wd-40, no good.

just finished trying heavy artillery in the form of a powerful rust remover (PB Blaster), the bolts still wont budge.

have broken a wrench head while trying (most probably due to my awesome strength)

still, i feel this is pain and suffering before the awesome end result.

please help me.

my final battle takes place this sunday in which my weapon of choice is the blowtorch (or maybe a saw just to cut them) though i have never used one before in my life.

have any of you successful hogzaust modders had the problem i am facing. can you please suggest a solution other than the ones i have mentioned

thanks in advance

Long live the Hogzaust!

When do you live ? May be some one is close to you and can help.

Sounds like you don't have good tools.

A 1/2 ratchet and good 14mm socket and box end wrench is all you need. A piece of pipe on the end of the ratchet may help.

Buy Sears tools. There the best for the backyard mechanic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Agree with impact wrench, unless you don't have access or need to have even an electric one handy in the garage.

Worst case, get a dremel and some of the big cutoff wheels, and cut the nut off.

Or, if you have two 14mm endwrenches, but put pipe on each one, and twist so hard you snap the bolt. It's just a plain old bolt, so snapping is no problem. You need to have 2 wrenches, so you put all the force on the bolt, not the actual piping itself.

Other than that, torch works too :)

Keep me posted!!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

well, my friend made a custom exhaust for his bmw some time ago and i have asked him to help and supervise me using the blowtorch.

i have used a long wrench, but it seems the bolt head is starting to shred and hence i was thinking about cutting or heating it.

I live in columbus, ohio

I've always been here, but just a little busy. work sucks, blah blah and the like.

Truck is running good. Helped me get materials to use deadly power tools on! Ever seen a kid with no idea how to use a Skill Saw making his first ANGLED PLUNGE CUT while holding the guard out of the way and trying to trigger the safety latch and power switch all at the same time? heh heh.

It, suprisingly (even to me!), ended well! I did keep most of my fingers, after all.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

had same problem. i torqued on bolt till it broke off then replaced bolt.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Ahh, the sound of an exhaust leak....

PB Blaster and an impact wrench.

Best advice ever. I had to remove exhaust flange bolts on my 92 with 150K miles and PB + Impact Wrench did the trick. Spray it good with PB, let it sit (Overnight if possible), spray again in the morning, wait an hour or so and twist those suckers right off. If you break one it's no biggy, since a hammer will get it out no problem, and you can get that size bolt anywhere.

If you want, you could try driving the car a bit before you take the bolts out to get them warmed up, but a torch would still be the best way to go if you're looking to get them hot. A small propane grill tank and a $10 torch kit from Wal-Mart/Home Depot will get 'er done.....

take your normal socket wrench or w/e you are using, and put an old pole or PVC pipe on the end, create leverage and BOOM free bolts

You could do that, but I'd suggest going with a 6 point socket in particular. A 12 point socket would be more likely to strip a bolt.

If the bolt strips, cut it off. It's not like it's a grade 8 or even a grade 6 bolt (I don't think). An offset grinder, Dremel tool, or even a drill would work. Or just find someone with a bolt out and an impact wrench. If all else fails drive to my house and you'll be on your way in 5 minutes, Hawgzaust and everything... :lol:

I'd suggest picking up new nuts/bolts for it. If they're that rusted, you don't want to be re-using them (at least I wouldn't). Then I'd simply PB blast the hell out of them, and find a buddy with an impact wrench and get them off. Replace with the new nuts/bolts and you're good to go.

Archived